Adjustment of rear brakes.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Adjustment of rear brakes.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi, I have been following the procedure to adjust the rear brakes of my Dexta but I find after releasing the star wheel/nut so that the drum is able to be turned by hand I still find there is some scuffing in some segments. If I release so that the scuffing is totally eliminated the brake peddle is very ineffective.My question is, is the scuffing something that is acceptable or is there an adjustment I am missing out? Thanks for any assistance. By the way the shoes still have substantial lining material.
Mervyn.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Re: Adjustment of rear brakes.

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi Mervyn
Assuming the brake shoes are seated properly then they should centre themselves during first use but you can adjust the position of both shoes by slightly moving both of them clockwise or anticlockwise at the adjuster end (for this and the removal and refitting of shoes, I used a length of string tied to a long handled ring spanner with a ring wide enough to fit over a stud).

good luck

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mike, thank you for the heads up, my brake linings were good as well as the drums no wear, yes those springs are a blighter to remove. I have just come inside from adjusting my right hand brake. I had a good mentor yesterday to help with the left brake, so other than removing the primer coat of paint from the inside of my drum which took me 2 hrs and 20 minutes, what a job all seems well, just have to get approval from my mentor :lol: . Initially I tried the wire brush on my drill but that was too slow. I then decided to dab straight thinners on the primer which made it a lot easier.
Mervyn.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Looks like you're sorted Mervyn

For anyone needing a clear cut guide to fitting new brakes and adjusting them I heartily recommend Mike Perry's DVD Tractor Drum Brakes http://www.tractormec.co.uk/tractor-dvds it was a great help to me and also covers replacement of rear axle bearings and seals.

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Yes thanks Mike, only the handbrake to set up now. I agree that Mike Perry's DVD'S are very helpful.
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Glad to see you have your brakes sorted out. I have only been able to see your comment on my posting about your rear brakes. Brakes should be adjusted up first then the handbrake. You sure are making good progress. Hopefully you have found the bolts for the handbrake. :beer:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Charlie, yes we did adjust the brakes first then I did the hand brake. Yes I did eventually find my hand brake ratchet bolts which I identified by the paint on the head of the bolt the same as the original mudguard paint colour.
Mervyn.