Help wanted - what does a 1959 Dexta Horn sound like?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MikesDexta
True Blue

Help wanted - what does a 1959 Dexta Horn sound like?

Post by MikesDexta »

Bit of a bizarre ask this, but I finally got round to dismantling my non-working Clear Hooters horn. I ground off the rivets and discovered the armature had worked loose so tightened it up and tested it off the tractor and, after a lot of twiddling I got it to work for the first time in 12 years. However when I went to re-install it the honk sounded more like a strangled goose so it is incredibly sensitive, which doesn't bode well when bouncing around fields. :scratchhead: I could just give up and buy a modern replacement but I would really like to get it going properly so I would like to start with a recording of a good, working horn preferably from a 1958/9 model. Can anyone oblige and pm me with a recording please?

One factor in the sensitivity issue could be that the original seal is dry and inflexible and when it came off it shrunk and wouldn't go back on. It's now soaking in Rubber Renue in the hope that it will restore (the original has an integrated grommet for the wires) otherwise I will make another up from some seal I have.

thanks in advance

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Help wanted - what does a 1959 Dexta Horn sound like?

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Mike, sorry I can't help you with a recording, but casting my mind back to my young days, the horn on my fathers Dextas' sounded as you say like a goose been throttled. My horn that I picked up from a scrap yard not for a Dexta also had to be stripped and it is so loud I believe it will wake up the neighborhood :run: . Might be off a Toyota vehicle.

Castlebin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Castlebin »

Hi Mike, I’m afraid I’m not able to upload a recording either but if I was to describe the sound from my Clear Hooters (on a 1959 Dexta) I would describe it as more of a klaxon type (deep and edgy) sound compared to the high pitched sharp, very defined “beep” of modern day horns. Personally I prefer the older more “vintage” sound.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Yes that's the sound I was hoping for. Could you video it and pm me the mp4 at all? I know its a big ask but it would help enormously

thanks

Mike
1959 Dexta

Castlebin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Castlebin »

Hi Mike, I’ll give it a go tomorrow. How do I send you a PM?

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Click on my name to the right and you will see 'send private message'

many thanks

Mike
1959 Dexta

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mike
My original horn on my 58 Dexta has quite a low note to it and sounds just like it should the same as a lot of your vintage horns rather than the noise of a strangled duck. If I can get a video of it when I get home I will send it to you.

Regards
Charlie.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I finally restored the old hard gasket so it was supple enough to fit the rear cover and re-installed the horn.This is the best I could get it after a bit more adjusting and it will do to shift my sheep! I will have another go at improving it when I paint her. Just click on the image to play the video.

Thanks to Rory for sending me a video of his and if you can send me yours Charlie that would be great.

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta

Castlebin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Castlebin »

That sounds very like mine now Mike! Glad to be of help.