Very tight ball joints.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Very tight ball joints.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Have other members experienced very tight ball joints especially those at the drop arm side? I can hardly move mine and they are still new, been sitting for a few years. They are the sealed type.
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Very tight ball joints.

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
The drag link ends are usually tight when new. Yours are probably tighter than normal with sitting for a considerable time and need worked just to get everything moving again. Just a suggestion but you could raise the front of the tractor to get the weight of the front wheels and work the steering back and forth full lock either way and this should free them up.

Regards
Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Charlie,

Thank you for your response, I decided to fit a 6mm grease nipple on the left side joint and half filled it with grease. I don't know if it is my imagination but it feels easier on that side. I think I will bite the bullet and fit another nipple to the right side. I believe the material inside the joint is made up from neoprene material.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I have been reprimanded by my mechanic not to fit grease nipples as they would have been fitted at the factory if they were necessary. :oops:

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Not necessarily, anywhere to cut costs and incorporate some built in redundancy!!
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's