Oil change way overdue

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
aldo
True Blue

Oil change way overdue

Post by aldo »

Hi everyone.
The Dexta hasn't been started for a couple of months and way overdue for an oil and filter change. I'm wondering should I start her up to get the old oil hot, or leave the old oil in the bottom of the sump and drain it without warming up. It's still warm here, 24 degrees celcius tomorrow, so not cold at all. I'm thinking probably best to drain it cold, and letting drain for a long time -wont drain properly/fully because its cold, but at least I'm not pumping all that old oil around the engine.

WayneB
True Blue

Opinion Area

Post by WayneB »

I drain my equipment without starting. I have done it hot and cold and see no difference in the oil, just handling the oil and filter warm or cool. My Dexta-s oil never gets hot like in an automobile or truck.
Six of one and half a dozen of the other - same difference. :roll:
It would be interesting to hear even more opinions.
:P
Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

How do you check the rear axel oil?

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Just got a 63 Fordson dexta! Engine oil is fine and I found out what (30W) and where (by right knee) to put in the transmission, but not at all sure about the rear axel. The transmission has, of course, the square screw in the base of the block (R) to check oil level, but what about the rear axel? How do you fill it? Any pictures would be great!
Thanks,
Steve

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

The whole idea is of course to drain out the old oil,and take as many ironparticles with it as possible.
Hot oil will drain faster,since it's thinner.

Since it's been standing for so long all the heavier particles will probably have set at the bottom of the sump,so i would drain it cold,and as you said,just take some more time.

If you have some cheap oil left in the garage,you might consider pouring that in ,thus flushing out even more debris.
Without running the engine of course.

Good luck!

Lost in Sweden:The rear axle is filled through a cap on top.
Standing behind the tractor it's on the right side of the big spring.
The level plug is on the left side,next to where the clutchpedal enters the rear axle.
It should be a square head!
Never unbolt a hexhead,these hold filters inside and stuff.
All levelplugs are square.

And it might be a good idea to start a new topic if you have a question.
That way the "searchfunction" will work better.

Greetings from the Netherlands.
Rob.

PS I love Skurugata.

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Dunggatherer wrote: Since it's been standing for so long all the heavier particles will probably have set at the bottom of the sump,so i would drain it cold,and as you said,just take some more time.
Thanks Rob, that's what I was thinking, about any steel particles. So while I was at it, I tried out an idea I picked up somewhere. I pulled apart an old computer hard disc, and got the really strong magnet out of it and stuck it to the side of the oil filter. This should pick up any steel particles in the oil. Next time I change the filter cartridge, I will be able to see how much steel is circulating around in there.

Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thanks for the info on the rear axle.

Post by Lost in Sweden »

I assumed it was there, but instead of a cap I have a pipe that sticks out with a pressure valve on top. I think its for returning the oil used in some hydrolic function, ie a wood splitter of something. Wanted to get some feedback before taking it off! So no rear axle dip stick on a 63 dexta?
Steve

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Nope,just keep filling her up until it comes pouring out of the level-hole.
And yes,there's a returnconnector on mine too.
Might come in handy someday.

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Aldo,

Now that's 'creative thinking'. Magnet out of a defunct hard disc to pick up particles?

Sounds like a good idea so long as you don't have to 'reboot' the system. :rofl:

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.