Oil in Exhaust

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
JohnG
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil in Exhaust

Post by JohnG »

Started the Dexta up this afternoon and the great surprise and horror there was a huge amount of smoke from the exhaust. This must have gone on for 2-3 minutes before it settled down. Engine did not sound any dfferent to usual so I let it run rather than shut it down.

I found that some splashes of what looked like oil had been blown out of the hole at the base of the exhaust manifold and there was oil in the base of the exhaust pipe.

Fired up again a couple of times and has started up fine with no problems.

Oil level in the air intake perhaps 3-4mm beneath the mark. Engine oil pressure light operating normally.

Took the heater plug out to see if this had oil on it - difficult to tell but I suspect that it did not look as dry and clean as when I last had it out when checking the operation of the old primer pump. But since I now have a primer pump that works any soiling could be from that

The only thing that has changed on the tractor is a replacement primer pump couple of months ago. Has only been started up on a couple of weekends since, and starts first crank.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks
John

roromac
True Blue

Post by roromac »

May I suggest that it has rained since you last used it and on starting up, the splashing is soot in water and the smoke is evaporating rainwater in the exhaust. That's what happens on mine at least.
Rob

JohnG
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JohnG »

Hi Rob

The splashing certainly looked like wet soot, but the tractor is dry stored!

John

roromac
True Blue

Post by roromac »

Hmm, well it was worth a shot
Rob

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

I've read on this forum that the fuel supply for your heater plug may drain into the manifold over time, this could explain all the smoke. You did install a new primer pump , so maybe something to do witht that.
PS. Any kids been playing on your tractor? (hey what does this do, push, push, push -squrt, squirt,squirt)

JohnG
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JohnG »

Thanks Aldo

I wondered if it might be a problem with too much fuel in the air manifold. Will start her up again at the weekend and see if there is the same problem and take it from there.

fingers crossed!

John

jharville
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jharville »

The new primer isn't a bad theory. After I installed my new primer I had a similar problem. I wasn't quite as lucky as you are though. Mine leaked so much fuel that one of the cylinders got fluid locked. I ended up having to install a brass valve in the line and I just make sure I cut it on/off as needed. You'd think a $100 primer would not leak fuel or at least have a built in shut off valve.
-Jason Harville

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

jharville, when the fuel got in the cylinders what did you do? I put a new fuel tap on my tractor last month and yesterday discovered the crankcase had diesel in it. I removed the bolts that cover the combustion chamber and turned the motor over several times by hand, nothing came out. I also changed the oil and I am going today to look for a shut off valve.
You are right, a $100 valve should not leak.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

jharville
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jharville »

sorry for the late reply...I don't check this forum as much as I should these days. To answer your question, the way I solved the fluid lock problem is not a way that I would recommend. It makes for a funny story though so I'll tell it. I decided to remove my injectors to free the cylinders of the surplus fuel. I figured I'd just bump the engine over briefly with the starter to get the extra fuel out b/c I had done that a few times before on a push mower with great success. Well I learned a good lesson about diesel compression ratios b/c it shot diesel no less that 40 feet in the air and then came down on me like rain. I couldn't help but laugh about it afterwards....and I think my wife learned to love the smell of diesel b/c I smelled like it for 2 days. Anyway, my engine survived the ordeal but I've heard that the standing fuel can soften carbon deposits(which makes sense) and can be rough on the cylinder walls. My tractor did seem more reluctant to start for a weeks after that but eventually seemed to burn itself back into good working order. Other thing I did was change the oil b/c it appeared as though it got its share of diesel in it as well.
-Jason Harville

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Oil in the exhaust is a common problem on tractors that do not work for a living. It comes up on the site at regular intervals. The answer will always be the same, hard work and the problem will go away. In the dealership, at this time of the year, we were called out to Dexta, Super Dexta, 2000, 3000, and 4000 tractors that were used on precision drills and inter-row hoes on a daily basis. Oil would be pouring out of the exhausts and down the engine. The cure was always the same. Put them on a baler or cultivator for a day and the problem would go away.

Diesel in the exhaust and sump is another problem and usually comes from the primer. Both Ford and MF, who used similar engines in their tractors, fitted a brass tap in the line to the heater plug and the problem went away. The "suck" in the inlet manifold could draw diesel through from the tank.

It could also come from the seal in the front of the injection pump.

Some women find the smell of diesel acts as an aphrodisiac! When I go home with some on my shirt or trousers, as soon as I get in the door my wife shouts "Get those clothes off" :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Brian wrote:Some women find the smell of diesel acts as an aphrodisiac! When I go home with some on my shirt or trousers, as soon as I get in the door my wife shouts "Get those clothes off" :D
:rofl: