Wiring Question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Wiring Question

Post by oor wullie »

Hi all

I am currently converting my Dexta from a generator to an alternator.

I know that most of the wires in the control box are now redundant and have traced them to satisfy myself as to what they are and do however, there is currently a wire that goes from the A1 terminal (on the control box) to the 'Bat' terminal on the ignition/key unit. As I am about to remove the control box do I need to find an alternative power source for the ignition/key? e.g. should I run a wire from the battery side of the solenoid switch to the 'bat' terminal on the ignition?

Also,everything I have read says to connect the alternator directly to the battery (via the terminal on the solenoid) however my Dexta currently takes the output from the generator through an ammeter (in the binnacle) before it goes to the battery. Is it worth doing this with the alternator? (The ammeter was quite useful with the generator as it made it clear when it wasn't charging but I'm wondering if an alternator will be a lot more reliable and so I could use the space for something more useful like a temperature gauge)

Thanks

Tim

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Wiring Question

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
I wrote an article on modernising a Dexta's electrics and it is availableat the top of the Dexta page under Wikipedia. It might be worth taking a look. any problems then message me.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Wiring Question

Post by oor wullie »

Thanks Jerry.

Everything is now back together and seems to be working better than when I started!