Gearbox transmission flush with Diesel tractor

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pat777
True Blue

Gearbox transmission flush with Diesel tractor

Post by pat777 »

Just lifted the gear levers on the Fordson Dexta to see a very creamy oil mixture. So water must have found it's way in some way.

I had the oil emptied out and was going put some diesel in to flush out the remnants of the old oil/water mix. I thought I had better check here to see if it was recommended to use diesel for the flushing purposes, (after a google search threw up mixed results with some advising it's okay to put diesel in the gearbox as a flush and others not.)

Anyway after a good bit of searching on previous forum posts I came across some good advice, so I thought I would post again as it is probably a fairly common problem with dexta's. Unfortunately due to previous Subject title, Gear box flush its uggly!! , not all people searching the forum will find the post easily using key words such as gearbox flush.

Any further advice regarding flushing out the gearbox would be much appreciated and any tips for avoiding water ingress into the gearbox.

pat777
True Blue

Re: Gearbox transmission flush with Diesel tractor

Post by pat777 »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2140&p=14758&hilit=uggly#p14758
by Brian » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm going to disagree with Rob!

Fords did not recommend us to use diesel in either the gearbox or the rear axle for flushing because it can affect the rubber seals and "O" rings.

Their recommendation, and what I have used since my apprenticeship on Nuffield and Fords in the late 1950's is kerosene. In fact Fords used this to dilute the oil in the hydraulics way back in the days of the E27N and through to the '000 nd series in the 1970's and 80's, in cold conditions and when the piston pump on the 3000 suffered from cavitation problems. And it works. Done it many times.

You can put a couple of gallons (10 ltr)of kerosene in the gearbox, mixed with a quart (1 ltr)of engine oil and drive round up to a mile without any problems. Do not work the tractor though, just a drive round, then drain and allow to drip dry. Repeat if you feel it requires it. This method was fully approved by the Training school for both gearbox and rear axle.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pat777
True Blue

Re: Gearbox transmission flush with Diesel tractor

Post by pat777 »

Just putting a link in to the Dexta oil data.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1012
Oil Capacities:
Engine ..12 imp.pints .. 6.82 lt .. + 3/4 imp.pint for filter. Total inc filter 7.25L

Gearbox .. 23 imp.pints (13.07L)

Rear axle .. 34 imp.pints. (19.32L)

Steering box .. 2.12 imp.pints (1.2L)

Total: 40.84L