Drug Rehab – it’s never too late!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
alang
True Blue

Drug Rehab – it’s never too late!

Post by alang »

Since buying my Dexta in 2005 and joining the forum, I have been embarrassed when reading the comments about “starting”. Brian was right to condemn the use of ‘quickstart’ but the fact was that without a heater and fuel primer system the only way to start my Dexta was with Ether. How long she had been a drug addict I cannot say and to be fair I only need to carefully spray a short burst of fine mist at the air intake and not squirt a jet in.

Having visited the Malvern tractor show a couple of weeks ago I was inspired to lay out some of my pension on a drug rehabilitation kit; pump primer – primer pipe – manifold jet/tap – heater switch & cover. These I fitted at the weekend.

I printed out Gerald’s starting instructions from his reply to Tomsdexta’s topic “Hard Starting” posted Dec 07, 2008. Had a couple of dummy runs to work out how to do three things with two hands – then I convinced myself it would blow up – then I just did what Gerald said and it fired up at once and without clouds of diesel smoke.

Thank you Dexta Forum – Thank you Tractor Pages
Alan.

PS. I have 2 cans of Quickstart to give away if anyone’s interested.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Alan
Thats what we're here for.
To help,
To advise,
To discuss,
and sometimes just to let-off steam.

Glad that your Dexta is now off the drugs.
Keep us informed on your Dexta's progress, and don't forget, we love pictures :needpics:

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Kev,

Not sure how to do pictures but here goes...

Regards
Alan

Pictures have loaded but not sure why they are so small. You can click on them and see them full size on Photobucket.

JC

Post by JC »

That's a nice Dexta, Alan. I'm glad you got her off the drugs.

The reason that the pics are small is because you used the code for email and IM. If you use the IMG code, they will appear full size. Your first attempt at posting pictures was a lot better than mine!
Thanks for posting those.

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Thanks JC. I'll try now...

Image[/img]

Oh yes, perhaps too big.

Cheers
Alan

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

You have a nice Dexta.
Looks like you have an alternator? Was that your mod?
All the best,
Ben

JC

Post by JC »

Those pictures are just the right size for my monitor, but they may be too big for some. You can resize them using Paint before you upload them to Photo Bucket, or maybe Photo Bucket has a tool that you can resize them with.

henk

Post by henk »

I use Windows Image Resizer. It's free to download and works perfect. When making a picture medium it's just the right size.
You can replace the pictures or copy them.

Nice tractor by the way.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Alan,
They are really nice photos of a beautiful working tractor!

Regarding Photo Uploads:
These photos are definitely too big. Ok for some people but not for most. Images should not be any larger than 800 Wide. I have a 19inch screen which is pretty standard these days but most people still have a 17" and some even a 15". I have 1024 x768 resolution and yet I have to scroll 1/4 of the screen across to read the text on any post that has an image of your size.
With Photobucket, it resizes as you upload! There is a "size selector box" just below the place where it askes you to select the files for uploading. I thought the default setting was 800 x 600. IT says alongside it that is the setting for a 15" screen.
Don't worry, you are not the only that has uploaded larger images. It's only been in the last 7 or 8 months that it is becoming common unfortunately. It is very frustrating for the majority of us but our pleas seem to be ignored.

Beautiful setting. That's a horse paddock (field) I take it? What sort of horses and purpose?
regards,
'
Regards,
Rick

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Ben,
No, I inherited it. What is your opinion about the comment I made in my last post...
"It would be interesting to poll what percentage of Dexta's have been converted to use an alternator. My guess would be that most concourse condition Dexta's would be 100% dynamo and that > 50% of "working" Dexta's would have been converted".

Meanderer, Henk & JC,
I run a Mac OSX and can cut the photos down with Photoshop. Thanks for the size advice.

Meanderer,
The horses are my wife's; one old Palameno and one Welsh section 3 (I'm told). The horses are my excuse to have tractors - I can't imagine how I could spend money on bits without saying " the tractor needs fixing or the horses will have no grass".
I keep a few sheep, a pig and chickens.

Cheers
Alan

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Alan
I also have the luxury of having a "wife with horses". Like you say, new tractor parts etc are not even given a second thought when it comes to looking after the horse paddocks.
I was going to say that you must also run small animals as well, going by the wire strand between the bottom and middle rails.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

Bensdexta
True Blue

Alternator for Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

alang wrote:"It would be interesting to poll what percentage of Dexta's have been converted to use an alternator. My guess would be that most concourse condition Dexta's would be 100% dynamo and that > 50% of "working" Dexta's would have been converted".
Yes that sounds about right. My working Dexta will be getting an alternator from Globe Electrics in Whitchurch who sell an alternator conversion kit for the Dexta.
BTW your big pictures look great on my 17" laptop.
All the best,
Ben

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Kev,

As a matter of fact my pig is a countryman of yours. She's a Kune-Kune, a Maori pig from the south pacific islands.

(Knocked the photo down to 15" as advised.)

Cheers
Alan

PS, I meant Countrywoman of course.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Alan
Good to see that "Kiwi's" are everywhere in the world :thumbs:
How's your Kiwi tractor Brian.

The photo size looks good when set at 15 inch Alan.
I have to admit, I agree with Rick about photo size. I sometimes dont even read some posts, if there's lots of text, to avoid having to scroll backwards and forwards.
It's so easy when uploading photo's just to tick the appriate box to suit 15 inch screen.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD