removing oil plug

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

removing oil plug

Post by Lost in Sweden »

I have a very novice question- what is the best way to remove the oil drainage plugs if they are very tight (and a bit worn). I can use a plummers wrench, a socket thingy with attachable bits, a 'tire iron' of the right size or even go out and buy a compressor and an accompanying bolt remover (good for my car too). As far as I can tell I need a hexagonal 3/4 " or here in sweden, say a 17 mm socket? Sorry for the terminology- novice here!
Steve

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Steve
The best way to remove the drain plug is the way that works without damaging the hex head.
The correctly fitting ring spanner would be my first choice, as it gives a square pull on the plug. The socket and lever arm would be next, but can twist off the plug as you pull on the arm (the plug hex is quite short in height).
If the plug is a little bit worn from prevoius poeple using adjustable wrenchs, consider maybe filing the burd corners so the ring spanner or socket will fit.
The plumbers wrench would be my last resort, as it's just about guarranted to destory whats left of the plug's hex head. You will need to consider replacing the plug if badly worn.
These are just my ideas, there maybe other ideas out there, but there's a saying that goes
"the right tool for the right job"

Good Luck
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

I totally agree with Kiwi Kev,and also would recommend the use of penetrating oil,or WD40.
Put the can next to the tractor,and everytime you walk by,spray a little bit on the plug.
Give it plenty of time to soak in,a week or so.
You'll be amazed what it can do.

I think 3/4 inch is about 19mm.

If you can spare the money,then treat yourself with a compressor.
Maybe not for this job,but with the right tools,they make tough jobs so much easier.
Get one with the biggest tank and motor you can afford,you won't regret it.

brownsmule
True Blue

oil drain plug

Post by brownsmule »

Once you get it removed, purchase a new one OR round off the edges and weld a nut on top of the worn out plug. I welded a nut on top of an old plug for a car engine and it really makes the job easy.
brownsmule mooresville nc usa