Stearing Gear oil

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Stearing Gear oil

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Hi All,

I can't seem to identify where you add oil to the stearing box. I have read about a small screw one can find on the column, remove and then squirt in oil, but where is it? The section on the 'Stearing Gear' for a Fordson Dexta is pretty useless, unless you want to take the thing apart! But the published 'Lubrication Schedule' says to check the stearing box oil level quite often... If so, how!!?
Steve

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Hi Steve, to check the oil,you will have to take the steering wheel off.
Then remove the ring.
Then you see the top of the steering column with 6 nuts.
Next to that there's the screw.
If you remove it,you can take a piece of electrical wire and slide it in.
This will go past the bearing,so it will dip in the oil.
Through this hole you can also top it up with fresh oil.

Be careful when removing the screw,it is very short and will fall from your screwdriver.
Also take care when you put it back in,it is not square to the column,so it's easy to crossthread it.
The fact that the column is aluminum does not help either.

Good luck.
Rob.

PS The manual says to check it often,but if you filled it and the oilseals are not leaking,i would not worry too much.

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

O and i just remembered that you may have too loosen (not necessarily remove) the little dashboard that holds the warninglights and tempgauge a bit.
Be careful with the tempgaugewire,because it is hollow,contains ether and is fragile.

Tmac
True Blue

Here is a easy way

Post by Tmac »

Take the steering wheel nut off. Turn the steering wheel so that the cam nut inside is at the bottom, pour the oil down the hole. I think the recommended oils is 30wt motor, but I use gear oil to slow any leakage on old boxes. When the box is near full, fill the steering shaft hole with a light grease. Put the nut back on loose, turn the steering wheel the opposite direction til it hits the stops. Do the packing one more time. then tighten the nut. This will pack the screw cam and the thrust bearings with a grease, it will help with old leakers. I have found that old, unrebuilt boxes seem to leak when the oil gets low it will not lube the screw cam and the thrust bearing. The grease will stay there for a long time.