Hydraulic lift slowly drops

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Zaffer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic lift slowly drops

Post by Zaffer »

I’m sure this is a simple answer, but when I’m using my bush hog, only thing I use the tractor for at the moment, it slowly drops as I’m using it. I’m sure it’s a seal somewhere that isn’t doing its job, but is there a seal kit and what kit do I need? It lifts fine. It’s a 5’ bush hog, BTW.

I’m getting ready to buy a PHD for it, so will be using the tractor more. What are the recommended sized implements for this tractor: box blade and grader blade?

Also, are there any front end loaders that work for this tractor? Would like to have a more modern designed one, with a hydraulic bucket and arms, but not sure if this is possible.

Thank you!

Zaffer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Hydraulic lift slowly drops

Post by Zaffer »

We’ll, I found this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8640

It mainly deals with erratic raising of the arms, but I guess it could also relate to my issue? Where is a good place to get parts or should I just buy an O-ring assortment off of Amazon?

Just getting back into working on my tractor since I now have a good space to do it, so eager to start correcting oil leaks, hydraulic system repairs, etc.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Dexta's are not ideal for front end loaders, but the Mil and Horndraulic are the two that come to mind. For operating two double acting rams (assuming you use a different loader) use the dual auxiliary valve, although they're very rare and likely expensive. The Dexta is Cat 1 so make sure your implements are also Cat 1. For using anything with position control (mower, topper, post hole digger...) ensure the selector lever is pulled up, as in qualitrol (selector lever down) the position of the arms will only be controlled by compression in the top link (only possible ploughing, etc.). If the selector lever is in position control then you'll have to lift the top cover and check the adjustments, a leak will cause bobbing to occur, as the hydraulics attempt to maintain the position (or draught in qualitrol). A simple way to identify this is to lift the implement fully up and see what happens, on these hydraulics the lever has to stay in the fully up position to keep the implement fully up.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

If you replace o rings I would recommend to get proper ones from a cnh dealer. Cheap ones usually don’t have the right shore values and will not seal on the long term.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

"If you replace o rings I would recommend to get proper ones"
I agree with that, o rings aren't expensive and nearly right is not right, both in terms of dimensions and rubber grade, good luck.
Regards
Ian