dexta oil pressure

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

dexta oil pressure

Post by Constant »

Dear all,
I have totally rebuild my dexta engine (except the injection pump). It works very well: starts easy and run smoothly.
BUT: when hot, the oil pressure light is on under 1000 RPM????
How to explane this? Everything is new in this engine, including pistons, liners, valves, valves guides, bearings, and of course oil pump. As you can understand, I feel disapointed.
Best regards,
Constant

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
It would be worth measuring the oil pressure with a calibrated gauge to check the oil pressure light is illuminating correctly.
All the best,
Ben

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

did you measure the crank to check for ovality and have it ground and os shells as it could be a bearing clearance problem and no fitting of shells will cure it only a regrind will.
change the oil pressure switch for a new one as this could be at fault.
checking the oil pressure with a guge is a good way of checking what is going on with the engine.

regards
James

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

A little varning about "new" oilpumps in general. I don´t know if it is the same thing with Dexta oilpumps, but when I renew my 590E engine I bought a new oilpump (of the wrong model so I returned it for two reasons), but it had over 0,2mm clearence inside when my old had 0,1 mm. So the new pump was worse than the old one. Perhaps it is the same with Dexta spare pumps.

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

I will check the pressure today. My guess is the same as you Grani: a bad new oilpump. Does anyone have that experience with a Dexta oilpump??
Have a nice day,
Constant

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

Hi guys,
the problem is solved: James was right, the oil pressure switch was faulty. I had one new in stock, did a replacement and everything works fine now.
Have a good week-end.
Constant