Hydraulic Lift Covers - are these the same?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Hydraulic Lift Covers - are these the same?

Post by Bensdexta »

I'm thinking of getting a spare lift cover. A pic of mine is below:

Is the one below the same? The auxiliary valve on the front looks different but are the two covers the same?
Thanks,
Ben

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Ben,

All the parts books I have show just the one cover or housing (957E-501-B) available for all Dextas so I would expect them to be the same.

Wonder what the valve in the 2nd photo is from?
Doesn't look like a DAR, Dual Auxillary Service or the standard remote control valve?

Cheers,
Les

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Ben,

Your first picture has an external supply that I have never seen before. Is it a set up for a front end loader? My set up on the left looks very basic.

a, b, & c all seem to be feeds. What the heck is link d?

I would swop my best dog for a DAV, around here they are as rare as hens teeth and you sound as if you have a choice. I think I need to move to your part of Wales.

Cheers
Alan

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They are the same top cover but one has the early aux service chest. These can be interchanged.

If you want to use a hydraulic motor you should use the one with the selector. You can vary the speed of the motor with the flow control. The flow rate is not great but I have run things like fertilizer spreaders successfully.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

alang wrote:Your first picture has an external supply that I have never seen before. Is it a set up for a front end loader? My set up on the left looks very basic.
a, b, & c all seem to be feeds. What the heck is link d?
Alan,
Yes we have a front loader on our Dexta.
a is the in/out selector valve to select either auxiliary or 3-point linkage hydraulics.
b must be selected 'on' for the front loader.
c is a pipe to the rear eg for a tipping trailer, which is currently capped. To use this the front loader would be switched off using b.
d is the flow control adjuster which moderates the response of the qualitrol - I'm sure Brian can say more!

Thanks to Lesfen/Brian for confirming that all covers are the same.
All the best,
Ben

Wim
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wim »

Hi,

just be careful that it is a cover for a Dexta, and not one for a MF.
These look the same, but (as I found out after buying an MF one) there is a difference with the boltholes at the front of the cover and there is no hole for the oil on the front-left.

Regards,

Wim

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Wim wrote:just be careful that it is a cover for a Dexta, and not one for a MF.
These look the same, but (as I found out after buying an MF one) there is a difference with the boltholes at the front of the cover and there is no hole for the oil on the front-left.
Thanks for the warning!
Ben

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

hi
been missing for a while - don't know if the actual overall cover is different but there are two types of quadrant fixing i believe. the earlier type has four bolts this was superseded by two bolt type from serial number 76093 in 1961 i believe ( source article t & M Nov 2005).
Same source lists the flow control valve - link D - as being available from November 1961 as well. i presume there will be some crossover between the two. Your picture is the later flow control type valve.
hope this helps

Ps Something that has always intrigued me is that the main picture in the artical shows the tractor being driven by a lady towards the camera BUT the exhaust is on the drivers right and air cleaner, dynamo etc to the left the opposite of the normal and indeed every other picture in the article - is this a unique model or just some computer image trickery???
Mike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Exhaust on the right? Petrol Dexta.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

hi
don't think its a petrol - if it is its the much discussed ealy 58 version - its some sort of computer negative i will see if i can work out how to post the scan
Mike