'58 Dexta Restoration

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ddoan
True Blue

'58 Dexta Restoration

Post by ddoan »

Hi Folks,

I am new to the Fordson Pages Forum. Over the years, I have restored several N-Series Ford tractors. Recently I acquired a '58 Fordson Dexta (s/n 8782) and have been dismantling it. My intention is to make it as perfect as time and money will allow.

Anyway, I have found that it really helps to take lots of photos. Even with a good memory restorations can be a real challenge. If you would like to follow along, you are all welcome. I am especially interested in comments about what you see - things I should watch for. But, as much, I hope the pictures will be helpful to others. Soon I will be adding captions, but for now, enjoy the photos.

Don

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstu ... estoration#

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Don,
It's great to take lots of photos but are you providing a commentary also to explain problems and solutions etc? Have you seen Stefan's site - which takes some beating;
http://www.fordson-dexta.de/501255938c0 ... index.html

Look forward to hearing how it goes,
Ben

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

That is a very nice tractor. Complete, straight tin and very little rust. I look forward to seeing the completion of your project.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Ben,

As I have time, I will be adding captions to the photos. Thanks for your the link. I'll use it as an additional reference.

Don

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Ddoan,

Welcome to "our" board. Looks like you have an interesting job to to on your Dexta.

Can you pleas tell (and show) us some more about your N series tractors?

Here in Europe the N-series ar far les known as the Fordsons. We at home are happily to have a 1948 8NAN tractor (kerosene burner). Here a picture made in 2006.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Hi Ddoan,

The Dexta looks as if it has been wrapped in a protective crust just waiting for a restoration job.

Watch out for the posts about cracked blocks. They are quite common and sometimes difficult to detect.

There are plenty of spare parts available in Europe - shout if you get stuck for something.

Good luck
Alan

roromac
True Blue

Post by roromac »

That looks to me like an unmolested tractor. You look to have one the rare double-acting hydraulic valves fitted. You also have the original cold-start pump. Looks as though it was laid up in the sixties in a barn.
Rob

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ddoan wrote:As I have time, I will be adding captions to the photos.
Don,
That's a great sequence of photos. I look forward to watching your progress.
All the best,
Ben

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Don,
What a great set of photos! Look forward to more!

roromac wrote:
That looks to me like an unmolested tractor. You look to have one the rare double-acting hydraulic valves fitted.
The DAR valve is somewhat different than what is on my neighbour's Dexta and what is shown in the parts book??
Does anyone recognize where it may have come from?
Or of any other double acting valves that may fit on the Dexta cover?
Sometimes such a valve would be so handy!

Thanks,
Les

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Les,

Here is a link to the remote control valve that is on my Dexta. I still don't know its manufacture or how it was used on this particular, but it seems that it may be useful. If anyone has any other information on its purpose, I'm all ears!

http://projects.mergecomputer.com/ford% ... 311877.jpg

Don[/url]