Cannot set qualitrol 10mm gap between control valve & bu

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nevis
True Blue

Cannot set qualitrol 10mm gap between control valve & bu

Post by Nevis »

Hi
Firstly thanks to all for the information contained in this website - its been invaluable so far for the repairs / improvements i've needed to make (new head gasket and adding a fan shroud mainly).
Finally I decided to get the hydraulic lift working right and as per all the advice on here the pin was worn nearly all the way through.
I've now replaced the pin and am now trying to adjust the linkages. However starting with the qualitrol setting - I cannot reduce the gap between the control valve and bush to 10mm - even with the turnbuckle fully wound off the thread the gap is about 13mm. I have also found that the main control spring yoke is seized so the spring is hand tight but I can't give it the extra 1/2 turn. Since I have no need for the qualitrol setting I don't particularly want to go to the trouble of unseizing this but would this however cause the problem with setting the qualitrol gap?

Regards

Andy[/img]

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Andy,
If the rear spring and linkage is seized it will give you a problem getting the settings. Also have you got the lift arms in the right position when setting? The control lever should be at the bottom of the quadrant for Position control and 13mm from the top stop for Draft control.

You should not have to screw the turnbuckle fully out to get the adjustment but if it is not working out, try moving the control lever slightly further up the quadrant to get you setting.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Nevis,

I'm in the same process at the moment. Turned the cam follower pin a half turn and reset the internal linkage.

Please check whether there are no bent links or something like that.

Just put a blow torch on the yoke to heat it up a little, only the yoke, not the spring. When it is hot, just let it cool down and spray with WD40 or similar. The other day you should be able to disconnect the yoke easily. It's not that amount of work.

Question, is your linkage, when set correctly for adjusting in the lowest possible position, or is it higher?

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Thanks for the help.
I found the reason I couldn't set the qualitrol linkage was because of excessive wear causing the lever to be loose when in the qualitrol setting.
So in the end I set the position control gap as per instructions which has worked perfectly so I now have a 3pt lift that works throuh the entire range of the quadrant and lifts to the correct height

Hopefully below you will find a couple of photos of the mean machine

Regards

Andy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is a beautiful tractor! Right down to the front grills!!!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Your Horndraulic loader looks in good nick - not sure about the colour!

Has it worn much on the 'bits', where the pivot pins locate?

I'm thinking of getting mine welded an redrilled at the pivot points.
All the best,
Ben

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

It's a real beauty Nevis.
Are you sure the picture is taken at Shropshire? Looks like a German style house at the background. :wink:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Brian - I took a front view just so you could see the silver grills!!!

Ben - all the pivot holes are worn a bit so it rattles when I go over bumps but it works very well - I have added lever valves and a bucket tilt cylinder which makes it much more useful than the trip system. The loader has obviously been repainted but the colour is as it was originally. I believe Horndraulic loaders were often yellow. My wife says it looks like a Dinky toy because of all the colours.

Henk - Shropshire is relatively (for England) undeveloped so a lot of timber framed houses survive compared to elsewhere where they were often knocked down for redevelopment many years ago.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nevis wrote:I have added lever valves and a bucket tilt cylinder which makes it much more useful than the trip system.
Have you added just one ram? Do you have a DAR on the auxiliary hydraulics port?
Thanks,
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sun May 03, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Ben
I have a normal auxiliary output which is plumbed to a pair of double acting spool valves. The return is piped from these valves to the rear axle fill plug which has been drilled and a pipe fitting brazed to it.
Andy

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

hi
i have hordraulic loader fitted to an early dexta - i believe from the outset, it is manual trip type it has a name plate and serial number 1220. Bucket only could do with a fork as well
Anybody got any info on models made, colours etc and hydraulic piping currently piped via a spool valve ( if thats the correct term ) fixed to the wing from a single out let. The valve lets you switch between frnont and rear services. I have aquired a brass valve which i belive was used originally
Mike