oil bath air filter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

oil bath air filter

Post by wee blue tractor fan »

hi there this is my first time on this forum since finding it this morning and i am wishing i had found you all sooner as there is lots of helpfull tips and advice on here and it has answered a lot of questions relating to the ongoing restoration of my fordson dexta however i still have lots of questions i would like answered and i am sure this is the place for that so here goes i have just fitted a new air filter and was wondering if i should put the oil in the middle of the bowl or round the outside ring

Bensdexta
True Blue

Oil bath

Post by Bensdexta »

Welcome to the forum.
If you go to Stefan's site:
http://www.fordson-dexta.de/downloads/section4.pdf
you can download the full Dexta manual. There is also the Parts List.

Ref the oil bath, see Fig 4 in the manual.
Quote from the manual as follows:
"Refill the oil bath base with clean engine oil of
the approved grade, up to the level of the step in the
base. Replace the base and gauze filter in position
on the main body of the air cleaner and tighten the
retaining clamp securely."
All the best,
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

oil bath air filter

thanks ben i guess that means the outer part of the bowl and not the small cup in the centre of the bowl

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: oil bath air filter

Post by Bensdexta »

wee blue tractor fan wrote:thanks ben i guess that means the outer part of the bowl and not the small cup in the centre of the bowl
See Fig 4 in the manual, All the best, Ben

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board.

You will see a ring around the inside of the bowl. This could be marked either on the inside or on the outside "Oil Level" You need to fill to this.

If you use your tractor a lot, dirt will build up in the bottom of the bowl and the oil level will still stay the same. That is because the oil will be drawn into the engine and burnt.

I would suggest that you need to check or change the oil in there at least once every three months normally or if you are using the tractor a lot in dusty conditions, at least once a week. There is no set time to change like engine oil, change periods are related to use and conditions so only you will know.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

air filter oil bath

thank you brian for the advice the air filter i have bought is an after market filter with no holes between the inner cup and the outer ring and after looking at my major filter i see it has small holes between the two under the oil level allowing the oil to flow between them meaning they both should have oil in them will i have to drill some holes as i have fully rebuilt the engine and dont want to take any chances any advice would be appreciated