Single vs Double Clutch - which parts are different?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Single vs Double Clutch - which parts are different?

Post by Bensdexta »

I've acquired the clutch and transmission housings & parts from a live drive Dexta. Can someone summarize the differences in parts from my single clutch Dexta?

In particular are single and double clutch bell housings the same? Would I have to change both housings to convert mine to live drive? Changing the clutch housing would mean loosing my tractor number.

Your advice appreciated,

Ben

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The bell housings are the same and interchangeable. In order to convert to "Live Drive" you also need a live drive gearbox or the various components to convert your existing gearbox.

I'm sure that the difference is highlighted in the workshop manual. If you have a parts manual there are drawings which illustrate the diffence.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Live drive conversion

Post by Bensdexta »

Gerald,

Good news that I can keep my bell housing and tractor number. I also have a live drive gearbox so converting her looks like an option.

Many thanks for your advice.

Ben

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

you do need to change the bell housing , i think gerald is telling you this to, but he means they are interchangeable! :)
sometimes you need 4!!!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Live Drive bell housing

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta4 wrote:you do need to change the bell housing , i think gerald is telling you this to, but he means they are interchangeable! :)
Oh! :(
What are the main differences?Think I only saw one housing in the Parts List.
Thanks,
Ben

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

If you wish to retain your original bell housing, you will have to strip out the input shaft and covers etc. to enable you to access the PTO countershft and transfer the live drive components

I'm almost certain that you will require the gearbox to be split from the axle casing to withdraw the PTO countershaft sufficiently to fit the gear shown in Fig. 2, Page 2.

If you go to the parts book Page 84, Fig. 30 "Live PTO & Clutch illustrates the components required to convert to Live drive.

If you are still uncertain of the procedure let me know as I have a gearbox stripped down and if necessary I will write up the procedure step by step using the workshop manual accompanied with photographs.

In view of the work involved I would take this opportunity to renew all the oil seals and any bearings that may show signs of wear.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Live Drive Conversion

Post by Bensdexta »

Tubal Cain wrote:If you wish to retain your original bell housing, you will have to strip out the input shaft and covers etc. to enable you to access the PTO countershft and transfer the live drive components
Gerald,
I'm pleased to hear I can retain my original bellhousing (with tractor number), and if I'm not mistaken my original transmission housing.
Changing to live drive sounds like quite a bit of work and is probably a job for the winter. I can use the intervening months to prepare and get the parts together as the live drive 'lumps' I've acquired are not complete - at least one of the shafts has been robbed.

Your offer of a 'How to..' with photos is indeed generous and if you can spare the time for it would be most useful to me and I'm sure others.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.
Ben

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

sorry ben, gerald ! i was going off memory and i'd remembered wrong :oops: i've had a look today and i cant see you having any problems keeping your bell housing, just alot of work!!!
sometimes you need 4!!!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta4 wrote:sorry ben, gerald ! i was going off memory and i'd remembered wrong :oops: i've had a look today and i cant see you having any problems keeping your bell housing, just alot of work!!!
No Prob! That's good news. Gerald's 'How to...' will make it easy! :wink:
All the best,
Ben