steering wheel problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jambug123
True Blue

steering wheel problem

Post by jambug123 »

hi all,
i have a little problem. Today i went to replace my temp gauge and a po has welded the steering wheel on and there is alot of play in the straight ahead position as well which i was also going to see about repair.
How do i go about this is there a way i can chop the steering wheel off and not have to find a new steering box to replace it.

Regards
James

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Welded steering wheel.

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi James,

I have encountered the same problem, where the steering wheel was welded on to the main nut as the splines were worn. As a consequence I had to grind the welds out in order to remove the wheel and to gain access to the steering column top cover.

If you have a lot of play in the straight ahead postion this is probably due to the main nut being worn, there is a very good photo of this on the Agriline site, they refer to it as a "top shaft repair kit" Pt. No 53140!

I suggest that a possible solution to the problem is to grind out the welds and renew the main nut and steering wheel, which in turn will enable you to eliminate the play at the wheel.

Gerald

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

thanks for that,
I can remove the steering wheel nut but they have welded the wheel to the splines with the nut but back on top.

Regards
James

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

James,

If you have a spare parts manual or refer to the one on Stephan's web site, Fig. 6 Steering gear item 14 "Shaft and main Nut assembly", this shows the main nut which screws onto the shaft and which in turn is splined to suit the steering wheel.

So sadly the only way out of this problem is to plug in your grinder and free the steering wheel, to gain access to the top of the steering column in order to remove/renew the main nut

Gerald