Front mounted Hydraulic pump on a Dexta.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Front mounted Hydraulic pump on a Dexta.

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

With Dexta's having a single clutch like "Bensdexta" and having a front end loader, has anyone tried a front mounted Hydraulic pump on a Dexta or Super Dexta ?(even if they are livedrive?)My suggestion would be to make a shaft that would bolt to the front pulley( using the 3 bolt holes) going through the front axle pivot to a pump mounted in front of the radiator.(Effectiveness takes priority over looks! )Oil for the pump could come from a separate reservior or from the rear axle housing.
If you had a pump with a flow rate of 40 to 50 litres per minute for a FEL, that would be more effective than converting a Dexta from a single clutch to a livedrive.(But not necessarly cheaper!)This is only a suggestion, but has anyone tried before?Or would anyone consider doing it?

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

That's exactly what my one's got - pump mounted as you said , running a FEL and power steering. Bought it that way. Was fitted late sixties, early seventies, I think.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Choice,as the Dexta's Hydraulic pump only has a flow rate of about 20 litres per minute, I guess that some one must have done this before, especaily if they were running a FEL and Power steering.Any chance of a picture of your Fordson "aldo" showing the pump set up? Cheers TSG.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello,

Interesting topic. I remember reading somewhere about a system used on Ford N series tractors.

There people fit a belt driven hydraulic pump to the engine, which is couples to the same belt as the cooling fan and generator.

The oil is taken from the rear axle housing somewhere and the pressurized oil is fed into the test coupling on the right hand side of the tractor, where the pump pressure can be tested.

May that be possible on a Dexta too? This gives you the advantage of using the lift when the clutch is disengaged and you can use the hydraulic system with bypass valve etc allready available on the tractor.

I'll try to find some more info.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Awh, TSG, know I have to pressure clean it to get a good picture of the hydraulic pump. The front seal has got 'a bit' of leak, so its quite dirty up the front. Will have to borrow a pressure cleaner, mine broke a while ago. While you are waiting, here's a few pictures I posted of her a while ago. In the top right photo, you can see on the front a heavy cover plate which protects the hydraulic pump. In the middle left photo, you can see the hydraulic oil reservoir on the right hand side of the FEL.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... light=aldo

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i have been thinking about this option as my tractor is currently a non live drive, this would help with the loader work i do as it gets annoying when you have to drop out of gear lift the clutch use loader dip clutch into gear and off you go. this set up would make it live, I was looking at the works JCB as this has a engine driven pump with a seperate Hyd oil tank.
It would be nice to see Pics of how it is fitted up.

Regards
James

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Hey Aldo, does your pump setup look like an aftermarket installation or has it been "made to fit" the tractor as a one off? Also what modifications have been done with the front axle, steering and wheels?Cheers TSG.

WayneB
True Blue

Parts Availability

Post by WayneB »

I had a loader on a Dexta few years back which I installed.
I went to the Massey Ferguson and ordered the crank spline for the 152-A3 shaft and rigged my pump. Use the Massey shaft also. My 11GPM pump would work fine at idle.
It was simple to install. I posted my parts list on the old Oscar site.
I made a few post on my old unkempt dexta site
http://dexta.20m.com/photo4.html

Shaft went thru the pivot pin.
Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.