Broken Clutch Plate

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
bobfaecullen
True Blue

Broken Clutch Plate

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi All,

I've broken my Dexta :cry: :cry:

Last weekend I was merrily cutting the grass with the 3 blade mower on the back, it was a beautiful sunny day and I was thinking "what could be better than sitting here in the sun on a Dexta doing a nice simple job" then it suddenly came to a halt, the mower had stopped turning too - the engine was still running nicely. I had a little think to myself and remembered that recently I had heard a bit of a clunk when releasing the clutch and taking up the drive, so my first thoughts were I've broken the gearbox, but then I calmed down a bit and hoped it might just be the clutch. Had to tow it back to the shed and then split it at the bellhousing and sure enough the centre had broken out of the clutch plate. Brian will probably say I told you so after my rotovating session.

In the picture you can see that it has sheared the rivets that hold the centre in the clutch plate.
I have noticed that with the single plate clutch, whatever implement you are using with the pto, it tends to keep driving the gearbox forward after you have depressed the clutch, so I think this must have been the main problem. I have now invested in an overrun clutch for the pto, hope this helps.
I'm in the process of putting it back together now after getting a new plate sent up from agriline.
I'm taking the opportunity to clean down some of the bits around the back of the engine and the top of the gearbox and while doing this I found an original information plate attached to the bulkhead between the engine and the battery box, buried under exhaust soot and dirt that gives details of oil type, firing order and starting procedure.

The plate is a bit scratched but I think you can see most of the detail.
I'll be back in action again this weekend !!

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Bob,
Hope your up and running OK.
I would be interested to know if the strain put on a single clutch e.g. setting off and starting the implement simultaneously is twice as much as a double clutch - in other words would you have still sheared the rivets on the PTO clutch plate, if the rotovator was to blame.
I'm sure you can't be the first to have this happen.
Cheers
Alan

Wim
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wim »

Hi all,

I've had a very close similar thing happen to my Dexta.
The 3 forks of the pressure plate had been too close to the drive plate and nearly worn through the rivets. Just caught it in time.

As for the overrun clutch, ALWAYS use one whenever you use an implement that relies on innertia or you will have an encounter with a fence , ditch or something else because innertion will act as an engine on the tractor/ gearbox and carry on pushing her along.

So, also check the pressure plate for wear. I replaced mine with a new one from Kramp, but that new one doesn't have the adjusterscrews on the 3 forks anymore.

Good luck,

Wim

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi All,

Tractor back up and running again. I used my new overrun clutch whilst cutting the grass at the weekend and couldn't believe how much easier it was to use, wish I'd got one long ago. It certainly stops the problem of the mower trying to drive the tractor into the fence, and makes it much easier to manoeuvre when you need to shunt forward and back because you don't have to wait for the mower to stop.
I would thoroughly recommend using one if you don't have live drive.

Bob