3000 Hydraulic Filter

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

3000 Hydraulic Filter

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

I have a 1970 Ford 3000 8 speed, live drive, with a blocked suction/intake filter. To remove and clean this filter,can you remove it by removing the lift cover or do you have to split gearbox from the diff/hydraulic housing? Also does the same apply to Ford 4000s?Cheers TSG.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The 3000 filter is an absolute ****! but it can be done through the top. The bracket is bolted to one bolt on the pinion housing.

You will swear long and loud because it is like trying to get a worm back in its hole but it can be done.

4000 is a little easier because there is more room and the filter is in a different position.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

I went to my local New Holland dealer(formerly Ford dealer) and they said they always split the gearbox from the diff/hydraulic housing to get the suction fliter. They said it would be about a 3 hour job start to finish on a 3000.( Dont know how long there smoko break was!) How does that compare with removing it via the lift cover?Thanks The Swanndri Guy. :lol:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Either way works and the time factor could be around the same. Less problem of shaft lining up etc through the top. Splitting works if you have all the equipment.

We did many through the top as when they came out there was a "campaign change" to the filter because they used to get a lot of air in and the filter was moved back towards the dif. We got used to changing through the top and could do it in around an hour in the field. But that was many years ago. :oops:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

When I did the suction filter on the 3000, I didn't swear even though I would agree its a real B******* to do. As all the other people I have spoken to would agree. My constant thought when do this job was "What form of substance abuse were the designers on when they put this filter inside the Diff/Hydraulic housing with no extunal access?"Did they get a bad batch of Moonshine, as they were probably blind (drunk) when they designed this filter? One thing is for sure,a clean filter make the hydraulics work much better!

Mike J
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: 3000 Hydraulic Filter

Post by Mike J »

I replaced the filters on my 2000, this was done by splitting the tractor and by doing this you can wash out any sxxt from the casing.
regards,
Mike J