4600: OK Where's the fuel gauge sender hiding ?

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
awemawson
Not Quite Blue Yet

4600: OK Where's the fuel gauge sender hiding ?

Post by awemawson »

Now this sounds silly I know, but I cannot see where the sender unit for the fuel gauge is on my Q cab equipped 4600. Obviously it's in the tank. Equally obviously it must be through the top of the tank. But how the flipping heck do you get to it to prove it works, or that it's cable hasn't fallen off. :scratchhead:

Anyone been there and done it and can give me a clue?

Seems that there are two types - are they interchangeable?
Sedlescombe
East Sussex

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: 4600: OK Where's the fuel gauge sender hiding ?

Post by Major Mike »

If you have problems with both, fuel gauge and temperature gauge, the reason might be broken voltage stabilizer. The stabilizer is behind meter panel.
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

awemawson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by awemawson »

Major Mike wrote:If you have problems with both, fuel gauge and temperature gauge, the reason might be broken voltage stabilizer. The stabilizer is behind meter panel.
No Mike thanks but it's not a stabiliser problem and the gauge is working - it's wiring or sender. Just can't get at the sender end of the wire.

(The temp gauge issue is definitely the sender)
Sedlescombe
East Sussex

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

Sender should be behind the meter panel, on the tank :
http://www.brokentractor.com/images/3000dsltank.jpg
But also broken stabilizer gives false readings.
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

awemawson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by awemawson »

Thanks Mike. Yes I found a similar picture on the web. It is JUST possible to get fingers to the sender over the top of the tank from the engine side - remember this has the Q cab. I didn't dare pull the faston connector off as I'd never get it back, but was able to get a meter probe onto it. Sender reads good, but zero connection from faston to instrument cluster. Cable disappears rearwards but I could not see more than an inch of it :(

I reasoned it must be possible to get at it removing some of the tin work - but no the lower section of the cab prevents it. However by taking out the instrument console it reveals a circular access panel over the sender held on by three self tappers. Things don't quite line up so although I could then get at the faston, I very much doubt it would be possible to change the sender though that hole unless perhaps the upper nacelle tin work were to be removed. Still no signs of where the wire joins the loom or and obvious problems with it.

So I wired directly from the sender, in though the grommet surrounding the speedo cable and to the instrument itself. (Instrument is powered via ignition switch - sender just presents a variable resistance to chassis).

So putting it all back together at least now the fuel gauge works :clap:

So the wiring is another job to add to the list when I eventually remove the cab for a bit of bodywork reconstruction.
Sedlescombe
East Sussex