65 S-O-S

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Wagtail
Not Quite Blue Yet

65 S-O-S

Post by Wagtail »

Hi everybody!

I've been lurking for some time. Since I finally decided to try my hand on restoring my 65 S-O-S it's time to de-lurk. I sure need help!
First question: LH floorboard is needed. NOS seems to be unavailable. The one used with constant mesh transmission seems to be quite similar to the S-O-S floorboard.
Is it possible to modify the constant mesh floorboard? At least I need to close the clutch pedal hole. What else, do mounting bolt patterns match up?

Please list some good parts sources. Messick's will get my first order but I would like to have more options to shop around. NOS/OEM parts preferred.

Edit: It's a 5000.

Thanks, Wagtail.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: 65 S-O-S

Post by Brian »

Hi Wagtail,

You need to give us a clue on where in the world you are.

I was pretty sure they used the same footboard for both SOS and standard transmission here in England but it is many years since I worked on them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Wagtail
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wagtail »

Hi Brian,

My 5000 was buit at Basildon early 1965 and I'm Europe.

Thanks, Wagtail

Wagtail
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wagtail »

Hi again,

My 5000 is missing a rear view mirror. Was there a certain type istalled at Basildon? Or were they country spefic depending on their destination?
What should I look for?

Thanks, Wagtail

Wagtail
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wagtail »

Okay, next question:

I believe the early seat cushions had "FORD" on them. Any time frame?

Wagtail

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Rear view mirror was made and fitted in the dealership. we used a round mirror on a bent flat metal arm. Seats were not really seat shaped like the later ones. but did have Ford on a decal across the back on the metal.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Wagtail
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks Brian for the mirror info!

Our first 5000 had "FORD" across seat cushion. I remember it like yesterday. For a young kid it was the coolest tractor seat ever! My son and I have been looking for a decent one for last few months. So far we have seen half a dozen of them. None good enough for our purposes. Maybe it's time to order a repop.

BTW, tractors exporeted to Australia, were they built at Basildon? By looking at the mudguards it seems likely.