Ford 4000 questions (many) on how to add extra hydraulics

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Flint
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 4000 questions (many) on how to add extra hydraulics

Post by Flint »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice on installing extra hydraulic valves on my granddads ford 4000(1975 reg with the wide tyres and larger cab, it will be a slow restoration job) to operate a power loader and a hydraulic top link. I know nothing about hydraulics but i've read a good bit about this and think i have a system worked out on how to do it, then again may be not, so here it goes. (apologies for the long post)

Existing hardware:
The tractor has the standard valve/selector at the moment where you pull out and pressure goes to a single pipe out of the top to either a loader or trailer ram via a tee. Or pushed in, the 3 point lift works.

Proposed loader
At the moment the loader which i want to get is a quickie 2030, seems ok, extendible. So it has one double acting ram at the top for the bucket and then 2 single acting rams giving the lift.

Adapter plate
I read that if i install one of these adapter plates (HV5902) with power beyond under the existing selector it will allow for extra hydraulics. So this will have a pressure port, pb port and a return port.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/h ... -on-hv5902

Option A
A.1-Spool Valve- Joystick
I'd really like to install one of these types http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-Hydraulic ... 1469057858 to operate the loader:
“Brand Hydraulic Loader Directional Control Valve #LV22RFSTKAB-two spool monoblock valve suitable for Front End Loaders. The LV22 offers two parallel, tandem centre 4-way work sections with float and regenerative action. The valve is also field convertible to closed centre or power beyond with the appropriate cartridge. All ports are #8SAE and has an integrated relief valve. Rated for 10GPM and 4000psi.

A.2- Setup Plumbing
One pipe going from the pressure port on the adapter plate to the in port on the joystick (the joystick will be in the power beyond setting). The joystick power beyond port will be piped to the return port on the adapter plate ( i think this will reduce problems of back pressure ?). The joystick return port will be plumbed into the filler cap on the back axle (so that there is no back pressure on the empty side).

The slightly awkward bit is the addition of a second single double-acting spool valve. This will be powered by the power beyond port on the adapter plate (makes use of it). The power beyond exit on this spool valve will be plumbed (via a tee) into the pipe leading from the joystick power beyond exit to the return port in the adapter plate. The exit return from this spool will be also plumbed into the filler cap on the back axle.

A.3- Loader Plumbing
The double acting cylinder pipes (for the loader bucket motion) fit into their slots on the joystick. However problem one arises as there is only one pipe from the lifting rams of the loader. Would it be ok to block the exit on the joystick here or would that cause pressure problems?

The second single double-acting spool valve (for hydraulic top link etc.) will have the coupling connectors to the rear of the tractor and there should be no pressure problems here.

Problems/questions with this set up
-Will the three point lift work with this system set up or is it over complicated?
-Will the original selector valve work in the same way = pull out works a single pipe (need it to work a single trailer ram) and pushed in works the three point lift?.
-Is the system dependent on the original lift/lower arm at the side, being in the up position (correct me if wrong but i think not as the adapter plate gets the oil before the 3 pt lift does)
-Have i understood the potential problems with back pressure and got the plumbing sorted with power beyond feeding to the adapter plate return port, and the return ports from the spool valves feeding into the filler cap on the back axel?
-Would the double acting spool valve joystick be able to work the single-acting ram? Should i block the unused port on the joystick or add a pipe to feed it into the return to prevent wrong pressure inside the valve.
-is the 10gpm speed for the joystick still too big for the 4000 with its 4.5-5gpm?

I know a set of 3 spool valve block would mean less pipe work, but what would i do with the power beyond port on the adapter plate? There is a two port adapter plate option too, the HV4902 which would remove the third pipe from the adapter and have the 3 spool valve block plumbed as follows; the power beyond feeding to the return port on the adapter while the return hose from the spool valves would go into the rear axle. The in and out for the 3rd spool valve would form the couplers for the hydraulic top link, etc. Would this system better suit my needs than above?

I know there are more fancy units http://www.thetractordoc.com/shop/remot ... ble-spool/
this one is expensive, i presume these have a selector knob/handle to select the 3 pt lift.

I like the idea of having the levers up higher rather than down at seat level. Pipe wise, was thinking about getting metal pipes as this would make it tidy, and then the rubber pipes giving some flexibility as to were the spool is located.

Plus on the curious side, does anyone have the engine mounted hydraulic pump? I have searched the internet for pictures of one set up with the additional reservoir., but haven't found one yet. The quicker gpm would be a bonus for running the loader and it might turn out cheaper in the long run. The only thing is i've no idea what size of additional reservoir i would need or where to put it?, or can it be plump out of the rear axle, then heat issues may it require a cooler along the way?

Any info & advice would be much appreciated, thanks