wanted: oilsump for county super 6

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
kuutossuperi
Not Quite Blue Yet

wanted: oilsump for county super 6

Post by kuutossuperi »

Hello from Finland
I bought my second fordson about a month ago, and it is 1965 county super 6. The previous owner has changed the motor to a ford cargo 6.6 litre, and I am thinking of restoring this monster to its original beauty as well as I can. So I would like to know does anyone have or does anyone know where I could find the county-made original oilsump for the trader 590E-engine? I could allways make one but there is so much to do with this that something would be nice just to buy ready.

Thank you and happy holidays to all.

Sami

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: wanted: oilsump for county super 6

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Holy crap Sami you’re not asking for much!
Wilson Machinery ( www.jaspwilson.co.uk )has been selling County parts on E-bay, mostly 1000 series but it’s probably a good place to start.
Post some pics and keep us updated!

Pat

kuutossuperi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kuutossuperi »

Yes I know, but papa allways told me that it does not hurt to ask :)

Here is a picture what it looks like right now. As you can see it is missing the font "cradle" and the front weight. for those I might have a solution, depending on the price. the cabin has to go of course. fortunatelly the tractor came with the original fenders, seat etc. the hood is 20cm too short and the side framerails are 10cm too long, because the wheelbase was modified longer 20 years ago. The previous owner made it shorter again but these things still need to be worked on. I found a good original fiberglass hood from a finnish guy and he might be willing to sell it to me :) My wife told me that this winter I have to spend more time with the family so this is not finished right away! well at least I have time to look for the parts and so on.

Merry Christmas to everyone and sorry that this post is on the wanted list

Sami

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Very nice Sami.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

One of my all time favorite tractors! Used to love working on them and then taking them out for a "field test" with a plough or cultivator.

Sami, if you think "hens teeth" and "rocking horse manure" is rare, try finding a County Super 6 sump. :shock: The tractors are no longer broken up so that source has gone. I would think your best bet is to make one if you can.

I will put the word out here in England to my contacts but I do not hold out much hope of finding one.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I don´t know what a County sump looks like but somehow i think that the one on Pascals engine would come up close to a County sump, but as I said it´s only my guess.Image

JC

Post by JC »

Welcome to the forum, Sami. Now we have three Super 6 owners here, you, me, and Sandy Mac, and Pat has a Super 4.
It looks like a nice project. Have you found a 590E to put back in it?

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I don´t think he has yet. He was interested in one of mine until he heard the price. :cry:

kuutossuperi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kuutossuperi »

I came across a couple of trader engines that are for sale. The other one was stuck for some reason and the pumps, starter etc. were gone so that did not interest me that much. The other one has been using a water pump in a farm about ten years ago and the owner has been starting the engine every year so it is in running order. He was asking 600 euros for it and I think it might be a reasonable price. I am going to go and see it next week.

Merry Christmas to all

Sami

JC

Post by JC »

600 euros sounds pretty cheap. I've heard of them selling for 4 or 5 times that price.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

600 euro's looks pretty cheap to me for a running 590e.

My 590e comes originally from a Thames Trader truck. I don't know if the sump on a Super6 is the same as the one on a truck?
There are different sumps for an 590e. The sump on the picture was broken. Eventually I used a sump, with the lowest
point in the middle (instead of the rear of the engine, as on the picture).
See my pictures on the 590e topic at the Ford Conversions forum.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Pascal I think its the same mine was from a super6 but that one was onened by a brocker now its in the roadless
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

I needed a new sump for my super 6 when i bought it, i can tell you now that it is a unique county only item, and it will be easier to find a super 6 weight than a sump.!!! Sorry.