Super Major final drive/diff/pinion&bull gears WANTED

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major final drive/diff/pinion&bull gears WANTED

Post by DeereOllie »

Hi folks,
I'm sure I'm asking for rocking horse pooh here but, I could do with a very good crown wheel and pinion,as well as the pinion and bull gears. I'm building a super major with a 508E engine, original power steering and correct boughton winch. I believe the engine to be good, and I'm collecting or already have most of the other parts to make it apear totaly original. I'm rebuilding or checking over everything I have so once she's up and running I don't have any surprises. I bought the tractor without any panel work, wheels, electrics but with the 508E engine already installed, so I'm gradually working my way through the entire tractor. I've opened up the final drive and have found the bull and pinion gears, plus the crown wheel and pinion are starting to loose their hard facing. So I wonder if anyone has a good set. Being new to this Fordson stuff (look at my username), after reading this forum, there seems to be different ratios so how do I figure out which one I have/need? Or does anyone have a cunning plan on how I can turn the pinion and bulls round the other way and still have a diff lock since the LH pinion shaft doesn't have a hole through the middle?
Cheers
Ollie

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super Major final drive/diff/pinion&bull gears WANTED

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board! ( Even with a name like that! :stress:). I have a crown wheel and pinion you can have if you can get it. I am in Norfolk.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Ollie, I have Switched the gears around in one of my Super Majors and drilled a hole through the pinion shaft for the diff lock, but it had to be done with carbide tooling as the shafts have a good case hardening.

Pat

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

Brian,
Guess you didn't think much to my username?lol. Liked the smily by the way. I'm a salesman for Anker of Coates selling everything Deere, plus I also own and use Deere's back home on my little farm, a 7710 and a 6910.
Very kind offer, much appreicated. I should know fairly soon weather I've got an early or late Super, I don't know weather there's any difference, ratio's etc. I'm back in Norfolk on Friday afternoon, so where are you in Norfolk?
Cheers Ollie

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

Bear Creek Pat,
I did see your post when you swapped round the gears from side to side, and wondered if that's what I may end up doing. Glad you said you successfully drilled through the bull? shaft. I do have a couple of lathes and a father-in-law who's rather good at using them, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to do that if I can't find any decent ones at reasonable money. Thanks for the tip about carbide drills.
To take the piss, if I was dealing with a Deere, I could just go into any Deere dealer (work for me) and buy off the shelf pretty much ANY part (apart from some panel work) right back to war time tractors, A & B's etc. However when I saw the Super with a 590E and Boughton winch of the thrasher man, can't remember his name, at Stoupaine, (sorry Great Dorset) I just had to have one. Loved it.
On that note, he's used what seems to be Ford 5000 mudguards. I can see the advantage in that once you pull off a field and open her up on the road, they should stop a lot of the crud flying up off the rear wheels. My point is this; what are peoples views on using later mudguards when I'm trying to get everything pretty much age related. Was there any other styles of corrected ages mudguards that cover the wheels more, continental for example??
Whilst I'm rambling on, the Ford 6 cyl engine I have has 508E cast beneath the injection pump and I'm told it came off a Clayson combine. Am I being thick or is this just an early 590E engine? If so, what sort of age is it?
Cheers guys, your already being very helpful, even though Deere's are best,lol.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We will not have any comments about Deere's as the price of the dif will rise steeply! :cry:

I thought you Deere boys were expert on everything but I am already sorting another Deere dealer out with Dexta problems. Think if you can't plug a computor into it you are lost! :D

I do a lot of work in the Ely area and know Ankers so I could perhaps get it that far. I do work occasionally for the Browns.

Do you know what pump you have? Is it a mechanical Governor? Only Supers after 1962 had Minmec pumps.

The change in dif ratio came in 1963 with the New Performance tractors and was an option. You will find either 3.3 or 4.4 stamped on the rear axle between the lift and the gearstick on a triangular flat area. Other than that all ratios were the same.

I like your comment about parts even though you made a spelling mistake. Shouldn't Deere be spelt DEAR when it comes to parts! :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

Brian,
It's not the price that's important, it's the quality,lol. Plus we can walk into a dealers and get it,lol.
Seriously though, handy that you come Coates way, guess you mean E.C.Brown at Coates/Turves? Or are you talking about the two Browns at Somersham/Fenton? I actually live at Somersham.
I'm lead to believe the tractor I have is a late, blue/grey Super from around 1964/5 because of the top sensing link reatining collar. I don't have the original engine because I bought the tractor with the 508E engine already in it, but that was about it.
I've spent a fun evening trying to pull the brakes apart, bloody rusty little pins, and searching for numbers, counting gear teeth etc. Here's what I've found.
Large final drive gears 69 teeth, casting numbers ESI EM36/33E very faint casting marks ending in ...425?
Pinions driving these inboard of disc brakes 13 teeth
Diff carrier has 64 firmly stamped on it twice lining up the two halves
Diff pinion 8 teeth
Crown wheel 35 teeth, stamped/engraved on crown wheel E1ADDN 4210B-8/35(no of teeth i guess) 8J63/68 10/12
On the edge of the machined pad at front left edge of rear axle casing 4.4 (guess shes a low speeder then)
Can I take it that in order to bring the top speed upto something useful, if and when I find some good final drive pinions etc, I just need some with the higher 3.3 ratio?
I have no V5 or reg number for the tractor, and I'd like at least an age related plate. I need some age related numbers and a club letter or sumit don't I?
Obviously I havent got an engine number thats correct but I understand the back end number is the same and will age the tractor. Where can I find this please Brian? I've had a look all over the gearbox and rear axle, the only thing I can find are the rear axle casting nunbers which are E1ADDN 4025 T1 3K7 little arrow pointing at date circle points between 5/6 I think (rusty).
I'm told my ex-Clayson is of a similar age to the tractor
Block casting numbers are 508E 6015 D T3 serial number on machined pad at top S313783
Head casting number 510E-6050-E FL A
As I said, I'm going to near Fakenham on Friday afternoon from Downham Market area if this helps. However if your passing our depot at Coates, would be very helpful if you could drop anything in. Let me know what I need to leave behind the parts counter with Mick, our brillant stores manager, or Gary, who's equally brillant (obviously cos they work in a Deere dealership,lol).
Alternatively give me a ring anytime on 07884 238680
Cheers Ollie

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ollie,
If you are coming to Fakenham you are 10 miles from me at Dereham. You can collect it if you like. I will arrange a disinfectant bath at the gate! :shock:

The one here is a 3.3 so you will be able to get about 18 mph.

Your casting code gives September 3rd 1963 and the crown wheel also looks like July 1963. If you go to the Wiki from the Home Page, www.fordsontractorpages.nl . using the codes "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty", you will find an article and pictures of the date code positions.

Send me a PM for detail of address if you are coming on Friday.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

DeereOllie, I have a couple of them green and yellow tractors out in the shed. A 1937" B Orchard" on iron, and a 1939 "A" on rubber. They're fine to take to a green and yellow show once in a while, :wink: but when I need to get any real work done, I get my Fordson Power Major out and get the job done. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

Dandy Dave,
Sounds like you've got a very nice pair of tractors there. May you just won't admit in here that you don't use the green ones because they are too good and valuable for lowly jobs?lol :mrgreen:
Ollie

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

DeereOllie wrote:Dandy Dave,
Sounds like you've got a very nice pair of tractors there. May you just won't admit in here that you don't use the green ones because they are too good and valuable for lowly jobs?lol :mrgreen:
Ollie
ROTFLMAO.... :lol: :lol: :lol: The trouble with the early jd's is they are fuel hogs, they do not have a 3 point hitch, they do not have power steering, no live hydraulics. And no live PTO The one on iron gets stuck easy and you cannot take in on a hard road. Not much good for anything but to rub elbows with the rich and famous green and yellow collectors. :wink:

Now on the farm we had a 4020, 4030, and a 4230. Those models were late on getting the options the Fordson and Ford line had at least 30 years earlier. Look at what was available for other makes in the late 30's thu the 50's and you can clearly see that the the other companys followed Ford, Fordson, and Harry Fergusen in the 60's. And that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. :clap: Last year I ran my Fordson for 10 hours a day for 7 days running a 35,000 Watt PTO generator because the power was out. My Fordson Power Major burned 7/8th of a gallon of fuel an hour turning around 1,425 RPM. Show me a jd of that vintage that puts out 51.8 PTO HP for that amount of fuel consumption. Pound for pound the Fordson Major Diesel line was hard to beat when equiped with options like my Power Major at that time in history. Ollie, Come join the Blue Side of the force. With our powers combined we will rule the universe! 8) Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

Dave,
There is a number of good points you raise.
The Fordson Major was a very successful and versatile tractor for it's day, true.
Your relavance to what I do for work is????? Did your daddy start telling the Fordson salesman in 1960 how good his Case steam traction engine was???
Please remember that Ford don't make tractors anymore, in fact New Holland tractors are owned by the Fiat group, an Italian company with a huge debt problem, in a country that has a huge debt problem, with a dodgy currency.
John Deere is basically still privately owned and probably the most successful tractor manufacturer in the world today, without a huge debt problem!
A lots happened in over 50 years Dave,lol.
My last point is this; the local New Holland dealer tried very hard to poach me, to become one of their depot managers, but I'm still selling John Deere's. :mrgreen:
Good crack tho Dave. :clap:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Deere Ollie, I did not say to quite your day Job. :wink: Just dream the Blue, Orange , and Gray after hours! :beer: All the Deere do around this site is collect flies and poo anyway. :cry:.... :) ..... :D Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Hi Guys,

Just a 'tactful' step in here...
I fully understand that what has been going on is simply 'friendly banter', but let's keep it that way, before someone unitentionally creates offence.
Don't you agree?
It's all too easy, these days of 'tinternet' to do that, because someone at the other end can't see that you are smiling and winking as you type.
The post started off, correctly, about parts for a Major.
Could I, respectfully suggest that we now cease the arguments between the merits of 'blue and orange' as opposed to 'green and yellow, whilst everyone is still laughing'?
After all, any tractor is better than no tractor at all - well, almost :run:

All the best,
Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Mike Kuscher wrote:Hi Guys,
After all, any tractor is better than no tractor at all - well, almost :run:
ROTFLMAO... Agreed. :lol: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

Guys,
Please don't panic. I happen to have a very sarcastic and dry sense of humour, so it would be very hard to offend me,lol.
Plus I know I'm right. :mrgreen:

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

DeereOllie wrote:Guys,
Please don't panic. I happen to have a very sarcastic and dry sense of humour, so it would be very hard to offend me,lol.
Plus I know I'm right. :mrgreen:
...I think its fair to say that the only deere allowed on the forum should have four legs and a decent set of antlers! :beer:

Oh deere, what has happened heere...
IIRC this is what happened the day after the tractor came back from being serviced, new battery and a full tank of diesel.... :yikes:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

The manual would say, contact your local dealer, :clap:
I think my assesment of its second hand value is.....Fxxxxd, :mrgreen:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have a problem with that TSG! :cry:

The Wrights of Dereham badge was a leaping deer in white, on a blue triangular background but it was leaping the other way to the Deere one.

This is because the town emblem of East Dereham is a leaping deer and has been since 694AD, just a little while before John Deere was a twinkle in his daddies :D eye!

Ollie,

If your man has a second set of bull pinion shafts for a Super looking for a home ---------------------- please!
Brian

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

DeereOllie,

The DVD on the Doe tractors has a section where one of Doe's engineers talks about the need they found to turn the bull pinion gears and shafts at about 2000 hours to present new wearing faces, so it is obviously something that has been frequently done. Wheteher they turned the gears and fitted new shafts or machined the bull pinion shafts for the diff lock plunger it does not make clear. Perhaps you might get useful information from Does. As far as I am aware the shafts and gears are the same for the early and New Performance Super Majors, the difference in ratios needed due to the increase in engine speed being achived by different crown wheel and pinion ratios and gearbox ratios. I have a pair of new bull pinion shafts and a set of lower gearbox gears for a New Performance but they are definately not for sale!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

DeereOllie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DeereOllie »

I've got a fine selection of final drive parts, more than I need, but enough to make a really good set out of them all.
Cheers folks :D