Circular saw blade

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Circular saw blade

Post by oehrick »

Having got disillusioned looking on EBAYm Gumtree etc, I would like to rip some serious diameter Chestnut & Oak into posts on the old Reynolds bench (while I still have the parents place to use) but over the years the blade which has been used mainly for crosscutting firewood logs has seriously diminished in diameter and I am looking for something closer to the original 3 ft dia.

Does anyone have a blade surplus to requirements that they don't believe to be made of platinum or the last one in the universe ?? would cheefully retooth something with broken teeth near (or over) 3 ft, not too bothered about bore size as I can always open or collet the bore and surface rust rather than deep pitting is OK. I guess 1/8" or 3/16" ish thick - spent so many years working with bandsaws that I tend to think any blade over .016"is a bit thick.............

Not sure what I have in the swaps area specifically Fordson but all sorts of things otherwise old and interesting, or of course, beer tokens.

Over to you with fingers x'ed :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

RH
True Blue

Re: Circular saw blade

Post by RH »

I'm certain I could find you such a blade here Rick, but postage wouldn't be friendly. I'll ask a pal in Castle Douglas area.
The blades here have the replaceable circles and teeth mostly.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Richard

With carriage I'd be back in 'designer' prices - they take perfectly usable blades, daub some sort of alleged country scene on 'em and ask Picasso prices so townies can hang 'em on the walls of their million pound penthouses made from old warehouses etc.

Much as I'd love removable tips they were not very common over here and like rocking horse droppings.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'd better use my time making a bandsaw planking rig as my bench doesn't have any means of controlling a big stick even though I could rig a winch, I may end up having to quarter the trunks with the chainsaw to make them a bit more manageable - still what is life without unreasonable dreams and impossible projects :clap:

Had a lovely afternoon, took an old pal to the afternoon running of the private collection of stationary engines owned by an even older pal - the sun shone, paraffin & diesel was partly combusted and exhausted in a variety of exhausts from bangs to gentle huffs and the visitors enjoyed complementary tea / coffee / rolls & cake all for a donation to the local vintage hayburner preservation society (horse sanctuary - I'd eat the bu%%ers instead of causing all that methane and their exhausts tell me they are all running on too rich a mixture and don't need donations !)

And so to bed having acquired a frozen shoulder somewhere along the line.........
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

I'll ask Len up at CD, Rick.
Been fighting harvest (Still am!) but will talk to him soon. Every day when I think about it, it's over late and I know he'll be in bed!
A ripping chain on a saw works pretty well, but not like a real saw.
Maybe dig a saw -pit and ask your mates over !! They Might come......Once. :)

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks for asking when you get a chance - we are wet, muddy with first frosts this week - glad to hear you are getting on.

I may end up using the chain saw for an initial halving as I'm looking at 12 ft lengths and they are aroung 2 ft dia at the butts.

Since I spent a considerable part of my working life involved in making / supporting bandsaw based machinery for frozen foods (you name it we've cut it - from horse & cattle to rabbit via tuna, frozen trawled fish fillet blocks, turkey extruded into logs the size of telephone poles, with diversions into spinach blocks 6' x 4' x 1' and even slabs of dry ice - which makes stainless steel scream on contact). I am currently looking at making a travelling Briggs & Stratton powered bandsaw as the rails can then be pretty light compared to rolling a log along, as long as they are rigid - when I think of the number of trade in saws which I could have had for nowt but didn't have space for :( No point crying over spilled milk !
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Band saws produce a very nice finish Rick.

Not cheap to buy over here, but do a grand job.
Will let you know what Lennox has to say when I catch up with him. He got a lot of stuff from us when we moved over here. Inc. saw , blades, our Ransomes rowing plough with tatie planter, and the Ransomes spinner, and me old one-horse plough and horse rowing plough :cry: :cry: :cry: Couldn't bring everything though!

...............And granddad's old long bed metal lathe! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Richard - sounds like you spread it about amongst the neighbours a bit :yikes: - don't they have end of life auctions of three lifetimes worth of projects over there :D

I have a smallish traded in meat bandsaw in the workshop - not that I can get to it ATM due to three lifetimes worth of projects stacked around and on top of it you understand :wink: my late lamented neighbour / best mate who was an organ pipe maker had a job requiring some ranks of wooden pipes, (timber supplied by the organ builder) not something he usually touched as he usually made tin pipes, he had worked up his cutting dimension sheets and was struggling to circular saw, planer and scraper to size and finish, asked him why he didn't bandsaw them - well wood shop bandsaws tend to be made & set up for cutting curves :cry: , after seeing a bit of veneer sliced off on mine a quick run over with a cabinet scraper gave the required finish, jobs a good un! So we fitted a digital scale to the fence and proceeded to batch cut the bits required - almost half the wood remained as the difference between the waste from the circular blade as opposed to the .016" from the band had been saved, he ended up able to cut a couple of ranks of pipes for a street organ he was making for himself from the surplus :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Morning /afternoon Rick,
Finally got me second cut hay baled yesterday!! :clap:
Only 30 acres of wet oats laid out now. Will 'phone Lennox today if I'm around when he is.
Some big band-saws over here. 5" wide blades, the used ones make good knives.
Yep. Smaller bandsaws save a lot of timber!

The horse rowing plough we had was an adjustable -for -width Ransomes as well. And a scuffler...... :cry: again!

Will letch'a know what Lenny has to say....

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Bob, no I'd not seen it (MOT due tomorrow so other than track rod ends I've not been on ebay for a bit !)

Unfortunately its collect only and down in Salisbury which is a fair way to go, I've flagged it and subject to a pass (or near pass!) may just email to see if they would consider putting on a carrier and if so might hzard a bid, it would need cropping down, I've done it the hard way with a bench guillotine but suspect that a pin to rotate on and a fixed plasma cutter might make a fair job - if I can find someone with a plasma cutter, gas axe would do the job but ruin the temper.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure