implements for dexta

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

implements for dexta

Post by Dexta »

Iv been looking at past posts and on the internet, so i hope someone can help.

What determines what a dexta can pull or use on the back of it eg. Plough, baler, etc.?

Previous posts say different makes and models but is there something like on my ranger truck saying i can tow maximum 2800kg ?

Will any 2 furrow reversible plough be ok on a dexta? Etc..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: implements for dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Dexta wrote:Iv been looking at past posts and on the internet, so i hope someone can help.

What determines what a dexta can pull or use on the back of it eg. Plough, baler, etc.?

Previous posts say different makes and models but is there something like on my ranger truck saying i can tow maximum 2800kg ?

Will any 2 furrow reversible plough be ok on a dexta? Etc..

Any help greatly appreciated.

There's a leaflet called 'power matched implements for a Dexta' which comes up on ebay from time to time. Lists all implements made for the Dexta. eg a two furrow reversable is prob too much - single furrow OK.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Excellent,

Thanks Bensdexta, thats what i needed to know.

Will keep an eye out.

Dexta

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

what are you looking to do with your dexta?
for towing, depends what the local hills are like. I had a MF35 on a trailer behind mine and had to drop into low 1st to get up some hills. wouldnt have wanted anymore weight than that behind me though. and took it nice and steady down the hills too.
for a mower i would say 6ft is the limit and then I wouldnt want to lift much more on the linkage as the steering would be far too light.
the linkage is more than capable of lifing the front of the tractor off the ground so I wouldnt worry about overloading it. it will tell you before you do any harm.
Regards,
John

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Hi John,

looking to do a variety of things,

a bit of match ploughing, cutting hay, hay turning, baling. thats the main things.

i go to quite a lot of auctions and see a variety of implements, its just knowing whats to big for the dexta

so would any six foot mower be ok?

what about conventional baler? i assume as its not lifting it like a plough it could handle a lot of conventional balers? is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Dexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Quite a few baler threads on here, eg http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 80&p=25870

Safety aspects of baling need to be kept upper most, they can bite. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi as regards pulling ihave had 2 1/2 ton of sand on plus the trailer weight and it pulled
no bother on the flat on the road, when it came to hills ihad to drop down to 3 low.
ithink the proper way to work it out is twice the weight of the tractor roughly one and ahalf ton
that gives max 3ton,including trailer as rgards the plough it will lit the 2furrow reversable but pulling through
different soil types mybe a problem. :)

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

I wouldnt recomend a 6ft topper. think its a bit much really, but depends what you are mowing. if it isnt too dense that 6ft will get the job done quicker.
I think 5ft would be a better size for a topper.
I have a 5tf bar mower as well and these do not require much power at all.
as for a drum or disk mower I have never used one behind a dexta.
Regards,
John

DEXTA MAN
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DEXTA MAN »

I tried a few months ago to rotovate the garden using my 1960 dexta and kuhn 9 foot rotovator, I would go forward 6inch then stop to let it rev up again (nearly stall) and repeat. We tried dad's mk 2 major the next day to finish it off but it was basically the same but with much more smoke :lol: , the major was a low hour machine which was looked after (engine never been touched) but my dexta was totally rebuild 2 years ago so they were probably the same hp by now.

DEXTA MAN
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DEXTA MAN »

sky blue wrote:hi as regards pulling ihave had 2 1/2 ton of sand on plus the trailer weight and it pulled
no bother on the flat on the road, when it came to hills ihad to drop down to 3 low.
ithink the proper way to work it out is twice the weight of the tractor roughly one and ahalf ton
that gives max 3ton,including trailer as rgards the plough it will lit the 2furrow reversable but pulling through
different soil types mybe a problem. :)
Diff lock and weights might help with ploughing some heavy soil , I know that I could use them :curse:

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi iam useing a mc connel digger on my s/dexta, it weighs roughly 700kgs ,although
ihave about 80kgs hanging on the front to keep the nose down
,also have a set of doubles on her,
i did have a scarry moment once when i hit the side brakes an she swung around
and started up a hill, nearly stright up in the air she went at the front and she sat down on the digger,
no damage done, but really frightened me :eyes:
took me awhile to figure out how to get her back on all fours :scratchhead:
,these old dextas can really
take abit of abuse, now itake it really easy when aplying the brakes near a hill :lol: