PTO driven Generator

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
peter2
True Blue

PTO driven Generator

Post by peter2 »

county654 wrote in another thread:
I do have an PTO driven Generator. If you ar interested in furthter Information, please open a new thread in order not to hijack this colour discussion.
Tell more. How many kWs, how is the regulation done for varying loads? Pics?

Peter
1963 Super Major

county654
True Blue

Re: PTO driven Generator

Post by county654 »

Hallo Peter,
the size of the generator depends on your power demand.
To supply the demand of a normal privat house, 5 to 10 kVA should be ok. 1 kVA is pretty much the same as 1kW.

The only bigger energie user in a house could be an electric water boiler . They ussualy need up to 21 kVA :shock:

Even if you don´t need 20 kVA all the time, I would not buy a much smaller unit, because they are not much cheaper and you should have 20-30 % higher output to avoid tension drops in case a big motor is starting.

Your Major has round about 40 hp on the pto, that should be enough for such a unit.

My genset has 20 kVA, but I never had it on our Power Major.
I will try it after grain harvest and will also Show some pics.
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Been there, Done that. Look Here... http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... tor#p21158

Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Dave,

nice setup. I live in a small town near big cities. Power outages are rare and short. In Germany cables are digged under ground mostly, so falling trees are not that problem.
A generator for me is more a kind of big toy, so if I can get one some days for less money, I'll buy it.

Peter (rear tyres are ready, date for trailing them home and mounting is Monday evening. :-) )
1963 Super Major

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

peter2 wrote:Hi Dave,

Power outages are rare and short. In Germany cables are digged under ground mostly, so falling trees are not that problem.
That looks nice. here in our place, it would only take some idiot to cause outages in our locality. On one occasion, somebody caused an outage when he chopped down a branch of a tree to prune it. The branch hooked itself to the lines, and voila! lights suddenly turned out :evil: :evil: :evil: !

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The guys that work for the power company back here say that everything is temporary. Eventually it will fail. :twisted: Too much rock to dig through in this area to bury everything. :cry: I did bury the new cable that is from the supply pole to my home eliminating the power poles. Hard pan in my yard. 100 meters up the hill to the neighbors and solid rock. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Dave,

power cables in the earth fail here, too. But most of the time the mesh is fine enough to switch over to a different source. So outages are hours, not days.
So no real arguments for a generator :-|
Next problem is the gas. We get it "out of the wall" and if there's no power for gas pressure in the gas network, there is no heating in my house.

Peter
1963 Super Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Ahh Bummer. I installed a Wood Stove here last year that heats the whole house though the base board /oil fired heating system. I have heard that over there this is not always an option because wood is not as plentiful in many areas as here. I still need power to keep the circulator turning to move the water. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

I lost track about this thread :oops:

Since my last post I had two challenges/oppotunities to use the Major on the Generator.
In fall, threre was a line failiure in aneighbiouring village.
At 6 o´clock in the morning a friend of mine rang the phone and ordered my Major along with the genset to do the morning milking, since there was no electricity :cry:

The whole farm and the house was supplied for about three hours by the Major.

This week a very unusual thing happened: the 400 kW power transformer that supplies our farm with electrity and takes the energie from our photovoltaik plants lost oil and had to be changed.
It took about four hours for the company to change the units.
Our Major supplied us without problems. :beer:
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654