PTO advice

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
tom lad
True Blue

PTO advice

Post by tom lad »

ello
questions re. the pto on my howard rotorvator
the shaft is too long , I have to run it with a very long top link so I doesn't bottom out , don't think this is a good plan.
it does about 45 mins work a year for me on me veg. plot . ( prob 20 yard / meter square )
if I worked it for hours it would probably fail some were but it doing my job.
the shaft is splined , many splines prob 20 + , I thought all ptos pulled apart and then you can chop a lump of to shorten , my local agri. dealer agrees . this one is captive together , it telescopes but wont separate , ??
I cant decide if there is a collar to unscrew .
I was going to buy a new guarded shaft but his books didn't have one. vapormatic books. I have not researched online yet
the gearbox end has a spline and a parallel boss which sits in a oil seal , retained with a roll pin , not just a standard spine .
is advise is to keep the gear box end yoke , fit that to a new shaft which he cant source ! good plan if I can get one ?

if I can shorted it by about 1" , 2 " would be better then it will prob live for now :beer:

:oops: I bought the rotorvator about 10 year ago out of the village scrap mans skip for £25 !! it is not pretty but it does a good job and better than a spade / digging fork ! :clap:
post photo soon
tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

tom lad
True Blue

Re: PTO advice

Post by tom lad »

gear box end , prob standard 6 spline shaft , the shoulder for the seal is the odd bit .
the spline , the tine bit does unscrew , very fine thread but that didn't help ,

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi i would have thought it would come apart however thou its hard to tell from the photo a diffrent arproch may be to lower or make an extenton on the lower pins to move the hoe further back may only need an inch or so b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I'd wondered about modifying the lower link pins , 1 " further forwards , towards the tractor would prob do it / push the rotorvator further away from the tractor.
so yes you're :lol: right that might be the answer

it starts to get close with implement lowered deep into work , if its held up shallow with the position control all is well , I run it set at full depth 1st. gear 1800 revs ish on my mf 65
tried it this spring on my super dexta , same prob with the pto , noticeably make the dexta bark :lol: but it does it .

I used to use it full throttle on the 65 1st. full depth but it digs holes :oops: less of a problem at 1800 ish , because of the little square plot and layout its always a draw forward and back
up , which doesn't help , the soils always thrown backwards .

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

If the shaft has been a bit too long and has been compressed too much could the internal part have mushroomed out on the end and thats what stops it telescoping apart?
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

Possible
I'll have a look

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

bin to two agri dealers now , no one can separate it , 'never had one that didn't come apart before !'
even if it did separate I believe the female spline is only in the last few inch's , so it would mean cutting out a lump of the tube and rewelding it straight , :shock:
im gonna mod the lower link mountings ,on the implement
if it looks presentable i'll post photos :clap:
thanks for help.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

mended :clap:
got the welder out and modified the links .
album link
http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/theto ... rotorvator