UK one - Bamford Sawbench value

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

UK one - Bamford Sawbench value

Post by oehrick »

Called in to return a book yesterday and found its owner, who's premises I've not seen in daylight in many years, in possession of a Bamfords No2 Sawbench which he had intended to try and use for firewood (using a Lister D of mine which his son was restoring but we won't go to power required land!), has now got a chainsaw instead so the bench is surplus to requirements.

While a smaller capacity than my Reynolds (there are youtube vids of similar but newer fabricated stand Bamford saws being run by Grey Menaces and even a S1 Landy) it is considerably lighter while still being all cast iron, so I'm very tempted to make an offer for it and perhaps pass on the Reynolds but for once ebay, that great valuation utility, has let me down.

Need to have a look in better light for condition but it is complete with fast & loose pulleys and belt changer, ripping fence, blade & blade guard.

If any of you auction goers have seen the like bought or sold in recent times & could give me an idea what a reasonable price might be please 'twould be much appreciated
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Re: UK one - Bamford Sawbench value

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Hi Oehrick, I bought a cast iron bench a couple months ago. It has 2 pulleys and a belt shifter, riving knife and a blade guard, its fitted with a 22" blade, and came with a short flat belt, but I have a longer one on permanant loan from a friend.All in reasonable condition, I paid £100 which was probably a bit on the high side but it was close to home and I needed it yesterday.
I got the blade sharpened and set by a saw doctor, that cost £25 which I thought pricey but essential, bolted the bench to a pallett and use a pair of forks welded to a yard scraper headstock to move it around.
Sods` law being what it is, I`ve just seen a 3PL PTO bench for sale really close by for not much more than I`ve paid out on mine so it may be all change, I do find the old bench takes a fair bit of time to move and set up each time. Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Dave, handy indication of price :)

Whatever I end up using, am thinking of 3pl for transport but not use, on a different thread had been considering shaft drive but from belt pulley centre, not PTO - to get adequate revs without a step-up in the drive.

Belt drive and freestanding sounds like a recipe for constant re alignment :stress:

Even with the advent of computer controlled blade sharpening machines which run all night on off-peak electric, our local saw doctors don't seem to have lowered their prices to match either :cry:

Cheers & Beers

Rick
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
just to confuse ? :roll:

I have a fergy saw bench , belt driven , which is mounted
and a mc. Connell saw bench , flat belt too and pto driven ' all work saw bench '??
both are 3 pt. mounted work well and fairly easy quick to move / set up again .

I honestly could imagine the hassle of re setting up a saw powered of a long flat belt if u are to move the machine regularly .
I guess if its set it up once and leave it there it would be fine.

only my opinion sirs
:beer: :beer:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

I am a bit of a fan of the belt driven saw bench not found much trouble setting up as for prices ive sold them between £165-£350 some were moved by 3ptl some I put on a pallet but latest one has its own cast wheelsImage

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

smart looking kit sir :beer:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.