Setting up a PM plough crosshaft

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
porteous
True Blue

Setting up a PM plough crosshaft

Post by porteous »

Went to the local vintage club "shine up" today and some one mentioned my cross shaft needed adjusting to get an equal front furrow width (10"). Spent the afternoon tinkering until the plough wouldn't work at all!

Does anyone have a diagram/photo or set of instructions for setting up the cross shaft on a PM 2 furrow?

I came across a Ferguson plough instruction that said adjusting the right hand cross shaft end towards the rear reduced the front furrow width and rotating it forward widened the furrow. Does this work on PMs too?

All contribution gratefully received! (hope to have the plough online tomorrow morning for another session!

PS My major has wheels set to 56"

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Setting up a PM plough crosshaft

Post by henk »

This is a picture of a former pm3 plough conferted to a two furrow model. This is the setting for the tirth run

The lever for the width has an arrow for the direction on it.
Hope this will help some.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Dear Henk;
Spot on! Mine now set up the same, so looking forward to getting back in the field tomorrow morning!
Many thanks;
David

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

So now I know just how carefully you need to adjust stuff on a plough! nice weather yesterday, went back for day 2 and the plough worked just fine all day. Very many thanks to Henk!

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/31231726@ ... am/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

ImageShine up 2014 014 by CraigWales, on Flickr