Restored Bamford No.3 Rapid grinding mill

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
porteous
True Blue

Restored Bamford No.3 Rapid grinding mill

Post by porteous »

Found locally last Summer, not used in 40 years and with parts broken. Now fully restored thanks to some brilliant local engineering and a few days hard work. Found a belt and ran it earlier today. Hope to be showing it at the 3 Counties Royal Show in June.

ImageMill Feb 15 002 by CraigWales, on Flickr

ImageMill Feb 15 005 by CraigWales, on Flickr

ImageMill Feb 15 006 by CraigWales, on Flickr

ImageMill Feb 15 007 by CraigWales, on Flickr

ImageMill Feb 15 001 by CraigWales, on Flickr

chriss
True Blue

Re: Restored Bamford No.3 Rapid grinding mill

Post by chriss »

Nice set up looks really good I am a fan of belt driven stuff :thumbs:

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Nice looking job and heavy I'll bet, I nearly bought an equivalent by ER&F Turner a lot of years back but it was a bit too heavy to travel easily.

Your Major and plough look to do a decent job too :clap:

Anyone out there know where I could find a "Eureka" mill made by Riches & Watts of Norwich ? nearest I can find is New Zealand waaay too far away to go to photo / draw etc (I'd love to have one for my R & W steam engine to drive)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Thanks Rick.

I think the mill weighs about half a ton. I have it bolted to a good pallet which I can load onto a small trailer with a set of pallet forks, then pull with the car or the Major.

I can't help with the "Eureka", but I did come across an "Albion" very similar to my Bamford but smaller, near Worcester if that's of interest.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Pallet loading facility must be very handy - got the steel but not got round to the fabrication yet :oops:

Its particularly the R & W mill (or indeed info on any other surviving machinery made by them) as I've been researching / writing their history for the last 30 years or so - it was a revolutionary design for its time with a fluted conical rotating element running in three piece shells, adjustable radially and endwise for a high throughput and widely adjustable for the grade milled (and could be had with an integral bran separator.)

I'm with Chriss on liking flat belt drive :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

I thought most of the curved cones and drive shaft adjustments used In these machines were subject to various patents by Henry Bamford in about 1890? Given the 70 years or so when very similar machines were being turned out by various manufacturers it looks as though any such patents were widely licensed, but that is purely a guess based on the use of the term "Bamford's Patent" on the Bamford grinding mills.

porteous
True Blue

Re: pallet forks

Post by porteous »

I thought most of the curved cones and drive shaft adjustments used In these machines were subject to various patents by Henry Bamford in about 1890? Given the 70 years or so when very similar machines were being turned out by various manufacturers it looks as though any such patents were widely licensed, but that is purely a guess based on the use of the term "Bamford's Patent" on the Bamford grinding mills.

The pallet forks are indeed useful. Bought for about £100 online with the linkage points placed up 8" and outwards by 4" by the local engineers to suit my Major. (Most sold are either "proper" heavy duty and a high price, or designed for compact tractor linkages. Mine were the latter, UK built and are rated at 1000kg. The engineers who adjusted the pin locations said they could not make them for what I paid. )

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

These predate Bamford by a bit, they initially were sole licensed UK manufacturers of an American Mill subject of UK Patent 1927 of 1855 issued to a Charles Stansbury (UK Agent) for its inventor Amory Felton in the US, judging by the numbers sold and testimonials received these were pretty good and R & W sealed two patents 205 of 1865 & 1213 of 1866 for improvements to the patterning and adjustability of roller and concaves and to feeding and dressing, after this point they appear as the R & W Eureka and feature in the few surviving catalogues I have seen up until the last in 1893.

I'm working on a 'universal' forklift cum transport box cum sawbench traveller with a crane cum log wrangler attachment for good measure :clap: :scratchhead:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice. :beer: :clap: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major