Which plough for Roadless 75

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Roadless63
True Blue

Which plough for Roadless 75

Post by Roadless63 »

As per title, been wondering which plough (ideally Ransomes) would be best matched to a Roadless 75 ploughmaster, it is ballasted with nose weight, cast front centres and rear weights (has been from new), it was originally used with a 5 furrow conventional ransomes (don't know make). It would be on reasonably heavy ground, reversible would be useful, something like a tsr300 3 furrow?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Which plough for Roadless 75

Post by Brian »

If you are going for a plough of its time you would be looking at a TS84 three furrow reversible or a TSR108 3 furrow reversible with a depth/transport wheel. A TSR103 would be good too, like the TS84 but with a box frame beam.

I would also look for either SCN or the higher speed UCN bodies which make a lovely job.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Brian, thanks for your input, are these 14" furrow width? I imagine 3 furrows would be the limit of a 75 even with 4wd on heavy ground? It used to pull a 5 furrow conventional but that was on fairly light ground on the hampshire/wiltshire downs.
Regards, Ed

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The TS84 can be 12" or !4" depending on the position of the legs. The front and rear legs can be changed. The TSR 103 and the TSR 108 are usually 12" from what I remember. If you have really heavy land then a TSR 102 or a TSR 107 might be applicable, the TSR 102 is 12" and the TSR 107 is 14" with slightly more clearance.

When I was selling ploughs we sold more 102's and could not sell a single 107 in our area because we were on very heavy land in places and a 14" furrow will not break down easily.

I once made a major error in demonstrating. I was given two tractors, a 4600 and a 6600 with uprated "Power Star" engines, just before they were announced, to run in and get ready to be demonstrators. I spent a fair while taking them out to my customers and getting a few hours on them with a TSR 102 and a TSR 103. We weighted the front on both with weight trays that we built in house, water loaded the rear wheels and Kleber Radial tyres. They went quite well and were far better than the early versions. So well did they go that I arranged a demonstration at a customers farm just outside Kings Lynn and turned up with the two tractors with three and two furrows. Nothing was said as I was shown the field but I should have guessed when the 4000 set off, by the colour of smoke, that things were going to be a bit tough. When we dropped the three furrow in on the 6600 she just died. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: No wheel slip, just killed the motor. We ended up with the TSR 102 on her.

We sold two 4600 and two 6600 to that farmer from the demo but I always remember it for me being a bit arrogant and thinking that the 6600 was better than it was but the troubles did not end there. The new tractors were put straight onto the plough and within a day we were back on the farm repairing punctures on each tractor as every one of them cut the valves off. We had sold them with Kleber Tyres and, being new to radial tyres, neither Ford nor Kleber had come across the problems we were getting on this farm. You could walk along side the tractor as it was ploughing and watch the tyre in the furrow, creep off the rim and cut off the valve. Fords blamed Kleber and Kleber blamed Ford for producing rims of the wrong size. Eventually the answer was to blow the tyres up to 21psi, a pressure unheard off back then when 10-12psi was standard for ploughing.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian