24m Spray boom.

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

24m Spray boom.

Post by Brian »

Chaps,

Just got back from seeing the new Team 24m spray boom with totally auto folding or gulling. A very impressive item. I have designed the auto folding and inhibitor circuit as an addition to the box we built last year.

The boom has two sections on each side and these can be folded individually to give 12m or the full 24m The new addition allows each side to be raised about 18 degrees so that it can spray a valley side whilst driving along the bottom. It is really impressive to see it at full angle up when set at 24m 8)

The booms fold alongside the tractor so they must be completely folded when they arrive into the supports, so I designed a system that stopped the boom folding and automatically raised the boom to the correct position before going in to the folding sequence using only one switch.

I knew what the design would do in theory and when all the relays clicked in sequence on the bench I thought we were on the right lines, but it is something else to see it perform for the first time. I'm chuffed to blazes. :clap: Its been a few days with ice packs on the head and then two or three late nights getting it together.

Especially when the man who designed the boom is with you and says he never thought it would work like that!

I only had my normal cameras with me today so will post pictures when I get the film developed.

If anyone is going to the Cereal Event near Cambridge or the Royal Highland Show, they can see the beast in the flesh on the Team stand. Its a tractor mounted one on a John Deere.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Sounds quite a bit of kit, a far cry from the machine I was looking at the other day based on a flamingo (a high clearance massey 35) it had a 24m boom mounted off the front on an old banana loader (as a crude height adjuster), the booms folded down each side when not in use (manually!) and protruded out the rear by a fair way. According to Dad it was based on an old cleanacres unit (which he also used to have mounted on old Morris Commercial MRA1 trucks). It was built and used by my friends father for many years along with a collection of homebrew forward control landrovers and the like which were only superceeded by a new Bateman a few years back!