tractor accident in Wales

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
David in Wales
True Blue

tractor accident in Wales

Post by David in Wales »

The guy was topping the upper field when the tractor ran away in reverse down the hill. Travelled some 300 feet - see the dark scar. The driver survived with extensive bruising & several broken bones.
David

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: tractor accident in Wales

Post by Oscar »

David in Wales wrote:The guy was topping the upper field when the tractor ran away in reverse down the hill. Travelled some 300 feet - see the dark scar. The driver survived with extensive bruising & several broken bones.
David
Guy was lucky to survive... Man, that looks like quite the ride. I'm not sure what happened, though. It looks like the tractor rolled downhill in neutral like a cannonball, pickup up speed fast and eventually toppling over. So why didn't he do something to stop it? Doesn't that thing have brakes? Select a low gear, rev her up and then let the clutch come up, etc.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

He was one lucky guy after the tractor ran away on him.
Cant say whether I prefer a cab or a roll bar. They both have their fors and againsts. Can't believe the tyres came off (leaning against the hedge at the bottom of the hill)
This is one photo to hang in the shed to look at each time we get into/onto our tractors
Safety is something we probably all take for granted too much, :nono: me included.

Kiwi Kev

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Kiwi Kev wrote:Can't believe the tyres came off (leaning against the hedge at the bottom of the hill)
I hadn't even seen that yet! Just imagine motoring peacefully on that road and all of a sudden this tyre......

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Makes my little escapade into the pond look a minor incident.

Problem is either of us could have been killed if luck was not with us. If I had gone in further and she had rolled I could have been trapped under water. The wheel on the bank was certainly throwing her over.

I had been talking to a group of Harvest students from New Zealand and Australia about just these sort of things only last Tuesday.

I am always very concerned when I read on other boards of people buying tractors who have no idea what they are or how to drive them. They seem unaware that they have in their hands a potentially lethal piece of equipment, not a child's toy. And to show children driving them around as young as five years!! It makes me cringe to see it. I may have mentioned it before, but I have done young persons training to drive tractor courses for age thirteen years and upwards. One farmer was rather upset because I sent his son home and would not allow him on the course. But anyone who has to leave the seat, stand on the clutch pedal with both feet and push himself down by using his arms on the steering wheel, should not be on a tractor.

These things are dangerous!!! Dangerous to drive, dangerous to work on. They are not toys. If you want something safe to play with, get a radio controlled model.

Rant over! but still worried about what people do with these things. I shall now head off for Scotland hoping that the new laptop will keep me in contact with everyone. Have not got my head around the WiFi yet as I can't get a signal from here.

I may get a chance to see Sandy's tractors if I get to his area. E-mail me Sandy if you are about later in the week.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Oscar, you raised the point about low gear and brakes. Sorry but these do not work on grass. Dry grass or wet is better than snow on a ski slope. The wheels can be locked and you still pick up speed.

On the Brimfield run, we visit a fete on the way round and this is held on a steeply sloping grass field. The car boys use the field as a skid pan on the dry grass and it is pretty hair raising stuff. Motor cycles and car clubs also carry out grass track racing and hill climbs. Its like driving on black ice. :oops:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian