First time plowing. How'd I do?

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

First time plowing. How'd I do?

Post by marveltone »

Nestled back in the weeds on the side of the hill was an old Case 3-bottom trip plow that my wife's father used way back when he farmed. It's been sitting in a rusting heap for many decades right where he parked it, and has managed to escape the scrap man. I recently cleaned it up, lubricated everything and replaced the rotted tires. After some adjusting, I proceeded to plow a two acre plot. Mind you, I've never plowed before, so I did my research first, then called my dad, who grew up on the farm to come and help.

This plow is one of the main reasons I bought the Major in the first place.

Long story short: Everything worked great! The Major did a stellar job pulling the old shares through the moist soil and I delighted in the shiny ribbons peeling off the moldboards. The only problem I had was when I plowed too close to the willows and hung up on the roots. This is not a breaking plow!

All in all I was very pleased!

Joe
1957 Fordson Major Diesel.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: First time plowing. How'd I do?

Post by Dandy Dave »

Dude! Your a Natural! :clap: :beer: :buddies: Celibrate, Celibrate. Dance to the Music... 8) Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Great pictures,well, for me, a picture is great as long as it have a fordson major in it( a ford tractor,or at least, a blue tractor will do)

At least you've got some help before you do it. I remember the time when I first tried to disc using the trailed disc harrow for our 5000. The thing is, I made a wrong turn at the headland and I ended up with the hydraulic hoses getting caught by the rear wheels! :oops:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Great pictures Joe, you got that soil turning beautifully but I have a question, I have noticed in a lot of pictures of ploughing in the US that you do not use skimmers as we do here.

Set correctly they completely bury the weeds in the bottom of the furrow so you do not get "green lines" or re-growth along the furrow joins. If you are "skim ploughing", only turning the top couple of inches, I can see the reason but your plough is obviously designed for deeper working.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

Interesting question Brian, but I'm afraid you're asking the wrong person. Whereas, I've driven industrial equipment for years, making tractors an easy adjustment, I'm still new to actual farming. I'm reading plenty and learning as I go, but his is the first time I've ever heard of skimmers. Perhaps somebody more versed in the development of farming on both sides of the pond can chime in, as you have piqued my curiosity.

Joe

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Nice strait furrow.

Brian is right skimmers work very well.

Could it be your last disk coulter is way too much to the front?
Set all the disk with the center above the share point and about half an inch beside the point. Keep it so high that it just can turn over the share point. Than you get a nice clean cut.

Just the result of me learning how to plough. It's great to learn it.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

Actually, the coulter was too high in these pictures. Apparently, the clamp was not tightened enough and it had worked its way up from the upward force. :oops: I noticed how it was not doing it's job and tapped it back down where it belonged and tightened it much better. It made a much cleaner cut after the adjustment.

Things to look out for the next time.

Joe