Domestic Waterpump problem

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Domestic Waterpump problem

Post by oehrick »

Hey, way off tractors but there is so much knowledge on this forum someone may have an idea.

My late neighbour left her 1930's wooden bungalow to her granddaughter who has applied for permission to replace it with something not worm eaten, rotten, uninsulated etc etc. the local conservation area planners refused :scratchhead: but have now granted permission for truly a hideous bungalow which satisfies their requirements rathernthan the owners, unfortunately the cast iron water pump which is much loved and the last working one in the village, has to go as the courtyard around it in the first plans didn't suit :curse: :curse:

I have suggested they ought to at least retain access to the pump bore in the new place and have just taken the pump body off the baseplate to store safely and eventually put up as a feature elsewhere in the garden, perhaps to pump from a rainwater catchement sump.

So far so good, I cut the pump rod off as high as possible having snagged it with a rope first (Pump lifted by Weston chain block on my portable garden swing A frame !) Its about 1 3/4" square pitch pine and the tube bore is 3 1/4" dia. so not much clearance on the corners. The pump rod and pump lifted about an inch on the blocks and then stuck fast :eyes:

Plan B consisted of a bit of I beam, a 10 ton jack and a pile of bricks, Rope broke, chain bit off the top few inches, then the next few, snagged the (just about level with the ground) rod with a noose in a steel cable so next attempt needs to catch it about six inches down the bore all for an inch or two vertical movement.

I'm assuming the pump bore has rusted or scaled above the working position of the piston / bucket, I really thought that with enough force applied the leather would have been pulled through but it hasn't. (it had been out of use for 10 years or so and about 6 yrs back after pouring sunflower oil down to soften the leathers I got it going again for them)

Anyone have any experience of such a problem or know a solution ? I suspect given the lack of clearance around the rod that this may be my last chance to snag it securely enough.............
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Domestic Waterpump problem

Post by Brian »

Hi Rick,

We have a similar pump and it too has seized in the last year or so. I fill the pump with water from a hose and leave it for a few days and this softens the leather and freed it off.

Ther is a water engineer quite close to me who might be helpful, Hewsons Water Engineers, if you do not have one locally now.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Domestic Waterpump problem

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Brian

I had to et this one working about 10 years back, both stiff and not holding its water - I used a little cooking oil at a time over a few weeks and this softened & sealed, I'm surprised there is so much hold in the bore but suspect this is the natural water level shich has rusted or scaled.

Thanks for the pointer - we have T W Page just down the road.

Interestingly the pump makers (name obscure) were in Hethersett - not what I think of foundry territory.

Sounds like Pascal is enjoying his trip and looks a much better day for tractoring in the dry :)

Richard
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes