Ploughing with Case.

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Ploughing with Case.

Post by Brian »

Sorry no Fordsons but Hey!! J.J.Wrights were Case agents too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5DyPVb5PI
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Ploughing with Case.

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Brian,

I lost interest after the steamers had scratched their way past - dunno just saw red :wink:

It has always amazed me how durable those spindly spokes on the big steam and i/c prairie tractors were, gut feeling suggests that after a lifetime of extreme torque there would be some tendancy to spiral, or at least show a bend near the centre but it doesn't seem to happen and its not as if there's the meat either in the hub or at the rim that our flat spokes had !
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Halftrack Hank »

Thank you Brian for sharing with us all "Ploughing with Case" . I worked for the Case tractor dealership in a town called Corrigin in Western Australia from 1976 . All up , I worked under the Case and later Case IH banner for 20 odd years before retiring from spinning spanners for a living . I believe that tractors lost their soul as soon as ECU's , micro switches and all the other electronics that could AND would fail , got fitted as standard equipment .
Prior to joining Case , my family had a wheat farm near a small farming town called Hyden (of Wave Rock fame) , where one of or tractors was a Case 1200 Traction King , what a machine that tractor was , ( i'm talking early 1970's here ) .
After selling the farm and unfortunately the Case 1200 , i started at the new Case tractor dealership as a mechanic , working on Case 8 , 9 and 1030's , then onto the 70 series , 90 series , 94 series , 96 series , then onto the Magnum and Steiger series tractors . Seeing and hearing those Case tractors brought back so many memories , thank you .

Regards ,
Halftrack Hank .

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Worked an LA and a 500 Diesel both were great tractors.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I had a bit of experience with the Case LA, Wrights of Dereham sold Case as Wright and Walker during the late 1940's and 1950's so there were still some being used during my time there. Changing a rear drive chain on a February day with a strong cold wind blowing was my worst experience. I was working with an "old timer" mechanic and we had our Anglia van right up close to the tractor to get some shelter but even then we could only take out one bolt at a time each before having to get back in the van for a little warmth.

The LA was a lovely smooth old tractor to drive.

I then got called out to a Case 4890 (?) four wheel drive, crab steer, in the 1990's to sort out a computer problem. Every time the hydraulics failed to work correctly, Case in Racine were saying put in a computer at between £3000 and £5000 a time and it was always the same problem. I talked to Racine and got little joy but the dealer and I agreed that it was not the computers. We eventually discovered a cracked lower link sensing pin but this was after the tractor had 4 computers fitted.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian