Penetrating Fluids

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Penetrating Fluids

Post by oehrick »

Following discussion on another forum regarding penetrating oils (with the benchmark of Kano Kroil being the best and neither cheap nor easy to get in the UK) a little surfing on the subject found a couple of sets of results where a homemade mix of acetone and ATF apparently out performs Kroil.

Having run out of acetone I had to wait until delivery of 5 litres via ebay and a bottle of Carplan ATF-G from my local DIY emporium, I mixed a bit of each together last night and found to my surprise that the cherry pink result from shaking then up, seperated back into two layers after a while, it appears they are imiscible !

I know virtually nothing about ATF but there were two types of the same make on the shelf - perhaps someone can enlighten on what it consists of or variants available ??

BTW this was at near freezing point but bringing indoors to warmer temps had no effect.

Anyhow I then embarked on a bit of bucket chemistry with the acetone and found it does not mix with:

Diesel
Paraffin
Meths
nor does Bilt Hamber DEOX powder (rust remover) dissolve in any or all of the above which is a pity, I had high hopes of the Meths as it has so much water in it.

So while I can see a well shaken mix of any of the above liquids potentially wicking into a dry rusted joint, quite how adding the acetone improves its penetrant power is not clear, however I shall in due course annoint the age old fixings on the sawbench and see what happens.

Anyone else heard of this or have I fallen victim to a wicked scheme by the makers of acetone & ATF to increase their sale ??

Mystified of Deep Frozen Bogside on Bure
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Penetrating Fluids

Post by Bensdexta »

According to this, you shake the two up and spray:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-ma ... ating-oil/
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Penetrating Fluids

Post by oehrick »

Thanks for that :clap: I had been busy looking at recipes that I hadn't thought of checking if there was anything on how to use it - the sites I had seen all seemed to refer back to that one site with the test results and recipe but I'd not seen anything about expecting it to separate.

If it is as good as claimed it is certainly not a bank breaker, 5 litres of Acetone set me back about 15 quid delivered so with the ATF, similar to 5 litres of WD40.

I tend to prefer a squeezy bottle with a bit of plastic pipe, aerosols & sprayers are not so precise - although 'erself is trained well enough not to bin any cleaning products spray bottles, trouble is solvents tend to eat their internals :eyes:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes