Powder coat

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
woodcutter
True Blue

Powder coat

Post by woodcutter »

Hi just wondering what you all think of having parts powder coated I've had a pair of wheels done and I'm happy with the results I've been thinking of trying it on tinwork it leaves a nice finish any body got experience of it?

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Powder coat

Post by oehrick »

Has to go on clinically clean metal AFAIK otherwise any residual corrosion tends to shale it off but it seems pretty durable if done properly

No direct experience other than garden tools and the like, takes quite a knock to get through it but once bare metal shows it doesn't seem to have quite the same adhesion as paint, although the relative thickness of both must have an effect.

I doubt you would have problems for a display tractor but knocking around stumps and barbed wire in woodland, not so sure :scratchhead:

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I second oehrick's comment about being clinically/chemically clean.

I've had alloy wheels recoated and on some the coating has failed after 5-10 years, presumably because of underlying corrosion.

What's wrong with paint?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I've always used two PAC before but I got a bonnet nose cone and dash panel to do and I think tractor had an engine fire and some point so tinwork was quite rusty so I took it to my local blaster and he was going to blast and undercoat it for me but he said if you can live with the dents he could powder coat it all and he could get a good finish which is tougher than paint and it would save me the hasle of buying and spraying it, so I thought for a tractor working in wood and trees would be perfect I've told him to carry on and do it now I will let you know how it all turns out, I've always got a picture of landrover bull bars with the black stuff all split and rust underneath but I've been told this is a plastic dip which is nothing like powder coat so time will tell, he said hel give it a zink primer first to prevent rust

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Most of the companies I build for use powder coating on their machines, in some cases, with varying degrees of success. On some parts it works fine, usually on large areas but can give poor results where there are a lot of nooks and crannies.

In the early days there were a lot of chipping problems after a few months.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I've done a bit of research on Google and it seems pretty popular in America, some guy had powder coated his whole jeep wrangler and said it was better for off roading :) I should be picking them up next week so il let everyone know if it looks anygood I think most modern tractors use it we've got a new case and I think a lot of the cab looks to be powder coat, but if it's rubbish il sand it back a bit and spray over top :D

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I've picked up said panels and it looks a good finish very smooth and shiney only time will tell how it will hold up but I'm pleased with result at moment

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I guess the process is the modern equivalent of stove enamelling and like any finishing job as good as the preparation - it will be interesting to hear how yours lasts in use.

The nooks and crannies problem Brian notes is down to the electrostatic field applied to the items to attract the powder, sharp angles, points edges etc all upset the overall field density so there is the eternal compromise, live with thin coat on the wiggly bits or wind the power up and end up with thicker coating on flat bits............................
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/woodc ... q.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
These are a couple of pics only downside any dings or dents u can't knock out u got to live with but this Is a working tractor so it doesn't matter to much to me, so there's no bondo in these panels :D