JCB

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
blackbob
True Blue

JCB

Post by blackbob »

Most folks probably know that the first production JCB excavators were based on Fordson Major/Super majors - although I think that in their early days, they could build a digger around your Nuffield or International. I think I already posted a photo of my own 1963 JCB 3c, which has a Super Major underneath:
(the colour scheme is allegedly because it came from an all-Ford farm)

And I have found this old film, including an older JCB 4, as well as a Muir-Hill (?) dumper, a Thames Trader, various Majors..

Enjoy :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV2i1F8 ... 194.087946
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: JCB

Post by Brian »

Thanks for posting that video Bob, brought back many memories as I have used or serviced most of the farm equipment shown.

I did the "riding on the bale sled" job when I was about 12.

We used a lot of bunchers like the Welger one and we sold a Claas version, farmers prefered the bunches to bales to line the inside of their potato "graves".. I got called out one day to a farmer who complained that his Claas buncher behind his new Ford 4000 Select-o-Speed kept breaking shear bolts and needles. When I got to him he was bunching some barley straw and, believe me, I had never seen bunches fly out of the back of the buncher as fast as they were that day. When I check things over, he had got the Deluxe SOS version of the SOS gearbox with two speed PTO and he was running the poor buncher at 1000 rpm PTO instead of 540.

I nearly lost my right hand in a buncher on the back of a Claas SF combine. I was riding on the back checking the operation and had dropped the safety latch in to stop it operating. Whilst I was not looking, the driver came around to see how things were going and took the latch out before going back and driving a bit further. I had my hand in the knotter when I heard it click, just managing to turn my hand sideways as the needle came through and scraped the skin off the back of it.

The driver learnt that his parents were not married that day!!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

:D
Brian you have neatly given me the opportunity to show this other video I found, I was wondering where to put it as it maybe merits a thread of its own (although, it does show examples of what seems to me, stupidity??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdG5Api3UyE

And while I'm here, a quick one - a short film, of speedily-driven Fordsons (people nowadays scoff at Acrobats, but they could be driven fast! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQJYYN-o9E
1440276 - 1957 - working

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have seen most of the Health and Safety films as my late brother-in-law was a Senior Health and Safety Inspector and ended up working in Europe trying to get them to see sense when drafting the regulations. In my other life, I taught Health and Safety to farmers from the introduction of the COSHH regulations right up to a few years ago.

Rod helped me develop a user friendly training course unlike the one that the Agricultural Training Board were offering where Tipex had to have a safety sheet to be checked before use!! I had a number of run-ins with the ATB hierarchy but after the Bedfordshire and Peterborough Training Groups received a commendation from HSE as to how well their farmers understood the Regulations and the HSE inspectors came and sat in on a number of the courses I ran in those areas, things changed a bit.

I helped train some of the local inspectors and we were really getting the safety message across to farmers without resorting to prosecutions and all the paperwork was kept up to date when, like all government departments, the whole thing was changed and a number of university graduates who had no industry knowledge were brought in and things went downhill from there.

Ann's brother had to visit the site of accidents as part of his job to find out what had happened and some of the tales he told were horific especialy where children were involved. One little boy of around two was in the cab of a 4000 with his mother as she carried bales into the cattle shed. He got out of the cab and toddled round to the rear of the tractor and got hold of the rotating unguarded. stub shaft on the PTO which was running in gear, it grabbed his clothing and rotated him between the lift arms and the draw bar until his mother returned.

Rod was really upset after that accident. That made me think that children have no place on a modern tractor and I have visions of Rod's description every time I see people driving tractors with young kids in the cab.

It is good that these films are out there and we should all see them from time to time as a reminder of what can happen with our hobby.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Hmm this one gives me nightmares http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... n_tractors_/

"The tractor was in a roadworthy condition".. What an utterly facile and pointless statement! The poor guy has unknowingly run-over his colleague/friend, and will always [without justification] blame himself for not seeing him trying to climb up his steps, or at least walking towards his tractor.. and the only comfort that they can give him, is to tell him his brakes and indicators were working! We've all been there, it's 8.30pm, dark, spitting rain, heater/radio/autosteer on, probably been planting non-stop since early morning and for umpteen days in a row... Chilling...

There is a YouTube video where the cameraman climbs aboard a moving tractor (a modern, big, Deutz with nowadays-normal rear-hinged doors) which is pulling a baler.. and only one of the 'comments' mentions that that is a stupid thing to do?

This thread is going off in a completely different direction to what I had expected.. I feel we should change the title, or maybe split it into 2, as 'JCB And Safe Driving' sounds a bit odd?
1440276 - 1957 - working