6 cyl sump

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
d.andersen
True Blue

6 cyl sump

Post by d.andersen »

Hi
I am working on a 6 cyl conv. and
I was just wondering , if someone in here have made their own sump for the 590 engine.

because i would like to know why some of you write that you have to use tree 4cyl cast sumps , isint 2 enough????
Fordson forever

frode
True Blue

Re: 6 cyl sump

Post by frode »

if you put them side by side, and offset them to make up the length of the 6-cylinder, you will see why. Welding cast-iron is one thing, welding cast-iron when nothing matches is another :)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

ok, have you made such a conv. ? is there need of any modifications to the suction pipe
Fordson forever

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

d.andersen wrote:ok, have you made such a conv. ? is there need of any modifications to the suction pipe
I am putting a 2700 series engine in mine. The oil pump and suction is different from the 590.
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello,
I am considering which way to go with my sump also, at this stage I want to raise the rear portion of the sump and add webs to mount the A frame pin, ( this pin is larger for the Super Major models )

I don't know why these pictures are so large, they are getting messed up!

I have worked out that it will be easier to get the Aluminum sump welded than try to mess around with the cast Iron ones which apart from being difficult to weld, don't line up with several of the holes anyway.

The webs I am going to add will be about 30 mm thick and have flanged steel bushes to take the wear and side loads.

The rear web will be placed against the flywheel cover part of the housing and this will be reinforced to take any shock loadings.

The lower part of the flywheel cover is too short as the Aluminum sump is round and the Fordson is oval, this gives me more scope to strengthen this area too.

This is the sump from a Class header, the Thames Trader onesI have seen have longditudinal ribbing in the rear portion.

Of course shrinkage from all the welding will be a Major consideration so the order in which welding is made will be carefully looked at, and I will be bolting it to the engine block to keep it straight, might even pack it so it bends backwards a little?

Maybe some day something similar to my Idea, might be made in Aluminum to keep costs down, ( if there is enough interest? )

Mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi All.

The question of 6 cylinder sumps seems to come up so often in this forum I thought I might ask a good friend of mine who happens to be a pattern maker what he thinks it would cost to make a pattern to cast a new 6 cylinder sump that would take the standard A frame and bolt to a 590E motor in a Fordson. My thoughts were to cast them in steel so they could be welded if necessary. Also if people could supply photos of the county 6 cylinder sump it could be cast in the same style. Initially I would need photos of a 6 cylinder sump inside and out a 4 cylinder sump from a Fordson inside and out and as many photos of a county sump from the outside at least as possible.

If anybody is interested "PM" me photos and contact details and I will pass the information on to my friend. It may well turn out too expensive to do, but given the need it seems well worth asking the question. I have had him make several paterns for me in the past and if you want more details I can provide photos and details via email so long as you "PM" your details if anybody wants.

I do not want any finacial gain out of this, apart from maybe being able to twist my friends arm a little for the next job I want him to do for me because of the extra work I sent his way :wink: I can however vouch for his work, the parts he has made for me are all top notch and surprisingly cheap per unit if more than one or two are made.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Here a picture of two different 590E sump models.

janus
True Blue

Post by janus »

hello, here a picture of iron cast sump, with hinge point for front axle of 6 cyl

sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, i'll try to take better ones, soon

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... rw68-1.jpg

Last edited by janus on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

csvper
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by csvper »

hello to all

first post after just viewing for some time.
thought i would post to add that i have a cast sump on my super major which i made from 3 4cyl sumps welded together.

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

Aussie Frank

it could be very interesting if your friend could make cast 6d sumps :D :clap:
Fordson forever

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

I have a super 6 sump in my garage just now, is it of any help to show a picture?
Sandy

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

csvper wrote:hello to all

thought i would post to add that i have a cast sump on my super major which i made from 3 4cyl sumps welded together.
Can you please put up a couple of pictures of this? :)
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

sandymac wrote:I have a super 6 sump in my garage just now, is it of any help to show a picture?
Sandy
Hi Sandy,

The more pictures of real 6 cylinder Fordson sumps the better. That way the internal detail can be made right as well. The patern itself will be very simple as it will not need any cores as far as I can see. There is no need to cast the hole for the front axle support as this can be machined during the final machining operation.

I already mentioned the project to my friend and he didnt think it would be a difficult job. The method used for casting will depend on numbers though. When I get your pictures Sandy I will get an estimate of cost and let every one know what it is. Then all I will need to do is get a 6 cylinder and a standard Fordson sump to him for the flange dimensions and bolt hole positions and that will be it, provided the numbers are right.

Regards, Frank.

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

Frank, i do not think the super 6 sump would be of much use for this project as there is no provision for the A frame pivot bolt..

Sandy

csvper
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by csvper »

frode wrote:
csvper wrote:hello to all

Can you please put up a couple of pictures of this? :)

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Nice job on the sump, csvper. What did you weld it with?

You almost got that picture posted on your first try. You just had too many img. tags. There should only be one on each end, like this: [img]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m490/csvper/015.jpg[/img]

csvper
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by csvper »

Thanks for sorting the photo, it took me ages to set up a photo bucket account and i didn't think it worked so i gave up.

Welded the sump with cast rods,cut the sections with a 9 inch angle grinder.

Did this 20 years ago so i think its strong.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Aussie Frank wrote:Hi All.

The question of 6 cylinder sumps seems to come up so often in this forum I thought I might ask a good friend of mine who happens to be a pattern maker what he thinks it would cost to make a pattern to cast a new 6 cylinder sump that would take the standard A frame and bolt to a 590E motor in a Fordson. My thoughts were to cast them in steel so they could be welded if necessary. Also if people could supply photos of the county 6 cylinder sump it could be cast in the same style. Initially I would need photos of a 6 cylinder sump inside and out a 4 cylinder sump from a Fordson inside and out and as many photos of a county sump from the outside at least as possible.

If anybody is interested "PM" me photos and contact details and I will pass the information on to my friend. It may well turn out too expensive to do, but given the need it seems well worth asking the question. I have had him make several paterns for me in the past and if you want more details I can provide photos and details via email so long as you "PM" your details if anybody wants.

I do not want any finacial gain out of this, apart from maybe being able to twist my friends arm a little for the next job I want him to do for me because of the extra work I sent his way :wink: I can however vouch for his work, the parts he has made for me are all top notch and surprisingly cheap per unit if more than one or two are made.

Regards, Frank.
Frank

I would be interested in a sump. I have an engine block and crank that can be used to build up the template as well as Thames Traded sumps and a ruined crank shaft.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Grani wrote:Here a picture of two different 590E sump models.
The sump on the left is from the Thames Trader Forward Control (Cab over Engine). These have a centre well. and can be found on industrial engines.
The sump on the right is from the Thames Trader Normal Control (Conventional cab ). These have a front well.
Some industrial engines have a rear well sump and some a long centre well..
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

just thought i would mention that a thames trader sump will not fit on the newer 6cylinder engines from a ford d series or cargo, so you would need to check before any casting took place.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

super6 wrote:just thought i would mention that a thames trader sump will not fit on the newer 6cylinder engines from a ford d series or cargo, so you would need to check before any casting took place.
Frank

I also have a 2000E 360 block and sump for a template.

Steve

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Steven B wrote:
super6 wrote:just thought i would mention that a thames trader sump will not fit on the newer 6cylinder engines from a ford d series or cargo, so you would need to check before any casting took place.
Frank

I also have a 2000E 360 block and sump for a template.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I don't know what the differences between the 2000E and the 590E are so I can not say if the block and sump would help people that are trying to fit a 590E engine into a Major. The way I see it though all that is required is a standard 4 cylinder sump and any 590E sump for the bolt pattern onto the block. The front of the 4 and 6 cylinder sump has to be the same for the wishbone fitting and the rear has to be the same as the 4 cylinder too, it just needs stretching in the middle.

You may be able to help out though, even if it were a 4 cylinder sump that you could loan me. Son number 1 lives in Gisborne and I am there on a regular basis. Tonight was a delivery of fire wood. Anybody that lends any parts toward this project will get them back as they will only be required to make the CAD drawings.

Regards, Frank.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello again,
my sump at the beginning of this topic, is from a Class combine, just as a reminder.
It is also worth remembering that any casting based on an original 4cyl design requires allowance for a different location oil pick up location and needs to be based on the Super Major sump, not the earlier ones as the A frame pin increased in size in the last models so enough material needs to be there to do both pin sizes.

Also please note that the 6 cyl oil pump is physically larger so requires a deeper pocket in the sump and more pipe clearance than the 4cyl one, I doubt that a 4cyl front section would have enough clearance.

Mike

kuutossuperi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kuutossuperi »

sandymac wrote:I have a super 6 sump in my garage just now, is it of any help to show a picture?
Sandy
I would like to see what the original super six sump looks like. This is something that should be casted as well :D

( By the way, is this sump from your super six or is it an extra one???? I am still one sump short.))

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

1962 model wrote:Hello again,
my sump at the beginning of this topic, is from a Class combine, just as a reminder.
It is also worth remembering that any casting based on an original 4cyl design requires allowance for a different location oil pick up location and needs to be based on the Super Major sump, not the earlier ones as the A frame pin increased in size in the last models so enough material needs to be there to do both pin sizes.

Also please note that the 6 cyl oil pump is physically larger so requires a deeper pocket in the sump and more pipe clearance than the 4cyl one, I doubt that a 4cyl front section would have enough clearance.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info on the super Vs normal pin size. That is very helpfull. As for the oil pump clearence I figured that since csvper was able to weld 3 Fordson 4 cylinder sumps together to make a 6 cylinder one it should clear. but still worth checking.

Something you may be able to help with though, do you know if the fordson 4 cylinder oil pickup fits onto the 6 cylinder? If it did it would make the whole design a little easier as we would only have to allow for one type rather than a multitude of different ones.

Hi Steve,

Do you have a 4 cylinder sump lying around for me to have a look at too? If you don't mind me popping around to check out the parts you do have PM your contact details to me so that we can arrange a visit.

Regards, Frank.