fordson major 6 cylinder with winch

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
woodcutter
True Blue

fordson major 6 cylinder with winch

Post by woodcutter »

This is a tractor i bought as an unfinished project after a lot of work through the summer its about finished :) I bought the winch off a ford 5000 and had to modify back plate but all went together well.

Last edited by woodcutter on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grani
True Blue

Re: fordson major 6 cylinder with winch

Post by Grani »

Nice. :lol: Does it have a Ford 2702 engine?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

You could probably tell me more is it an 0813, These are the numbers off the plate. 826f7fba 8/f/83, It came out of a cargo lorry and has a bosch pump

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Is that a Boughton Winch?
What pull is it good for?
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

yeah a boughton two speed it says hdf 25 on the side, not sure what it means though :? ive only tried it on a couple of trees and it seemed to have ample pull for what i need, spades are a bit heavy i could do with a little winch behind the seat to pull them up.

lpreilly88
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lpreilly88 »

Hi there.
Bare with me as I am new to this website. I am currently putting a 6cylinder in a major that came out of a clayson combine. Most of it done apart from the sump/front axle problem. Was just wondering how you have gone about yours as can't quite tell from the pictures. Is it the original Ali sump? If so, the bolt holes on the sump don't match up with the bell housing. What have you done here? Also what have you done with the front axle?

Many thanks

Liam

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board, most people strengthen the side supports then either turn the wishbone and shorten it to fit on the front of the tombstone. I have done this myself and used an old MIL loader frame which took the load back to the rear axle.

This tractor ploughed with a three furrow Lemkin plough and worked a Howard Rotospreader for many years and is still running 30 years after I did it. I made a blanking plate for the area where the sump did not line up.

The side channels do need strengthening.

If you search for Pascal's modification,"The Super Major Symphony" he has a novel way of doing it.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took in Australia last year, I have never seen so many 6 cylinder Majors! :D

I did also see one with a sump made out of three Major sumps. The owner said it was not a success as it leaked and cracked.

There are proper sumps out there which allow the wishbone to remain in the normal position but they are few and far between and are pretty expensive.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I have turned the and shortened the wishbone and made a bracket that bolts to the tomb stone and then made a steel toolbox that hides it all. I didn't have the height under the sump to get both axle pin and wishbone pin inline. seems to work ok, but i think the way brian's pictures shows is neater If you got room :) With the sump iv'e got bolt hole's that don't line up so iv'e got strengthening from the draw bar mount under the gear box back to the side rails. If you could machine your sump to line up with all the hole's i would still use some form of bracing, I don't think the ally sump would be strong enough on it's own :idea: