Major v8 conversion

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
am333rcr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Major v8 conversion

Post by am333rcr »

Hello all

I am wanting to put a Perkins v8 in to a fordson. MY reasons are one I would like the challenge and I like them and I will also do a bit here and there around the farm. I not its not everyone's cup off tea am not interested in pulling compations.

I not Bout the engine and needing to make a plate and to all basically remake whole chassis

But I really want to now is about what clutch is used and is the out put shaft long enough or does it need work.

People say that the live drive ones are not the best for the conversion because of clutch is this true

All information will be welcome Thank you

Regards alistair

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Major v8 conversion

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Alistair,

You are right the live drive clutch is much weaker than the single clutch. Live drive is very marginal with a six cylinder conversion. Be careful though it is not easy to change from live drive to single clutch so make sure you get a non live drive tractor to convert.

You don't mention what sort of V8 you are planning to use, which may make a big difference to what you can get away with. A big diesel V8 will need a big single clutch, but a small petrol V8 with less torque may not stress a twin plate clutch too much. All the same I would also not want to rev a twin plate clutch too hard either otherwise you may end up with a tractor that looks like the one in this topic. http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 03&p=19619 The rest of the back end will take the power of a V8 no problem.

Personally I would not put a V8 in a Fordson, but if you have the engine and you don't care about practicality then why not.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

am333rcr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Major v8 conversion

Post by am333rcr »

Cheers for the reply

Oh dear I hope it doesn't end up like that one .

I have got a Massey combine Perkins 540 . So as far as clutch goes is it a single fordson clutch or is it Massey clutch or what or just using the fordson non live drive clutch. ?

These are my main concerns so far anyway but I am sure there will be more . As I say will just be doing a bit of messing around at the farm doing a bit of work. :scratchhead: :D

Can't wait to get into it