thames steering

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
brockwood
True Blue

thames steering

Post by brockwood »

hi all having a bit of trouble with my k series ford /thames trader nc . fordson carrier last thing to do for club reg i am after what my parts book calles a steering coupling [rag joint]? its parts no was e279la5 compleate or it lists a replacement rubber as disc coupling e288la5 had no luck hear yet perhaps some one in the uk may no of a sorce failing that il have to try and cut one out thanks b http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g32 ... titled.jpg
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

brockwood
True Blue

Re: thames steering

Post by brockwood »

hi all an update got it passed today ended up using an 80 mm outer 23mm inner circle cutter to cut 2 disks out of conver belting cut the 6 groumet holes with a bit of 1/2 inch stainless milk tube in the pedestal drill using the old one as a template its working fine b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Glad to hear that you got it sorted. It sounds like it is quite a bit different from the normal flexible coupling that only have four holes. No wonder you couldn't find a replacement.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

thanks she goes ok geared to 85 but will go up most at that going to throw the cft on and take her back to the bloke i got it her off this week to show what weve done motor appears to be an upright 380 full govened if i was real keen i could use it to turn my 754 super 4 into a super 6 but im not bImage

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello I have a truck question,
I have a few different 590E engines, ( dead and alive ) and the latest date one 5 A 8 is obviously out of a 1965 K series truck.
This engine however has an engine number prefixed with 660E.
As you obviously have the K series truck how does this compare with yours?
My industrail parts books indicate that those of 1965 were wet liners and the same capacity as the early 590 E.

Do you know if the 660E might indicate a different capacity and perhaps dry liners that the K series had or was this just a carry over into the next model until all the wet liner blocks ran out?

Mike

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

1962 model wrote:Hello I have a truck question,
I have a few different 590E engines, ( dead and alive ) and the latest date one 5 A 8 is obviously out of a 1965 K series truck.
This engine however has an engine number prefixed with 660E.
As you obviously have the K series truck how does this compare with yours?
My industrail parts books indicate that those of 1965 were wet liners and the same capacity as the early 590 E.

Do you know if the 660E might indicate a different capacity and perhaps dry liners that the K series had or was this just a carry over into the next model until all the wet liner blocks ran out?

Mike
Hi

People often confuse the K Series trucks with the previous Thames Trader NC range. The K series is an updated version of the former Thames and the naming system was adopted in line with the US system along with the D series. These trucks are mostly the same but they are not identical. The Thames had the 590E type engine and the K series has the 2000E series in 240, 330, 360 and 380 CID versions.

I own a K Series 7 ton tipper and a NC 75 tipper as well as a number of FC Traders and two D series.

The prefix on the engine number indicates the application. The numbers are consecutive irrespective of the application. FC traders with 6 cylinder diesels are prefixed 510E. 660E indicates a NC Trader. Most of them are 330CID, the larger engines came into play around 1970. I am installing a 660E prefix engine into my County Super 6. I will check the engine number on my K series over the week end to see what the prefix is.

Also, be aware that the 590E engine was available quite late into the 1960s as a service replacment. The engine that was in my Super 6 was a service replacement, cast in 1968 with a 1970 engine number. It is a 590E but most of the internal parts are 2000E part numbers, mainly the crank and rods. This was something new to me when I stripped it down.

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank You Steven,
The side of the engine has 510E 6015 and a letter which almost matches some of the part book nunbers
But it has the 660EE engine prefix, I think that letter is significant as it will indicate batch.

I had another look from the water pump hole and it appears to be a wet liner version, so a late Trader production version, which matches with an industrail version I have.

Looks like I have a late production Thames Trader engine, or replacement.

I am surprised at the K series crankshaft having the part number, but I suppose it is like the VN V8 it carrys the red V8 part number ( as a blank ) then was just machined differently.
I have been thinking of removing another crankshaft from a proper K series engine to see if it could be made fit the Thames trader as we are short of crankshafts.
Very few cranks are worn out from work, most are "stuffed up" ( a technical term ) from diesel leaking from the injector fuel return line, and from water in the sump! but you will know that!

Mike

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

sorry been a while getting back to you due to login issues but it would appear your questions have been answered by stevenb. just for your information our 1970 K600 should by our understanding have a 338 engine and four speed gearbox but has gained a 380 with a five speed ( not that 1st is ever needed) when we purchased the truck we were told she was slow and we could not achieve more than 35 mph on the trip home ( that was disappointing ). on inspection we found that the throttle linkage was wrong and only giving about half throw on the fuel pump and because this engine is full governing that only meant half revs. with alterations to the linkage she now can achieve her maximum speed of 53 mph up and down any hill. for your interest her engine number seems to be S122049 we also have a D series with a slant 360

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you,
From the ones I have it makes yours about mid 1960, but there is a Topic on engine numbers that may be more specific.
I have also found in the K series and NC model book that the 660 E is from a 170" 5 ton truck May 1962 - Feb 1965
Mine is block is January i965 660EE13235 I haven't worked out the reason for the two EE's though.

It has the sump at the front indication it was a NC model

Mike