This and that about Ford 590E engines.

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Brian wrote:Grani,

510E is the truck engine number. You would have to find a truck site for any information though. Steven Barker on here might be able to help as he is "our Trader Truck" expert but I have not heard from him lately.
I have send an E-mail to him but i have not reseived an answer yet. The e-mail address that i found might be old. stevbrkr@aol.com
Do you think this is the right one?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Grani,

That is the one I have. Steve works in the rail industry and travels the world so he may not be home in Aus at this time. I usually here from him at Christmas and will also give him a message that you are trying to contact him.

I am sorry to be of little help to you but I know no-one in the industrial or truck field that could help. They were kept seperate from the tractor side by Ford. We were one of the largest dealers in England, yet we had to buy all parts for the industrial engines and get our data from a company nearly 50 miles away. It seemed crazy at the time and even more so now in later years. Especialy now when there is little or no information available on those engines.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello all,

Just googled aroud a bit and found this:

http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/diese ... eadid=2173

Did not want to paste the text in here for copyrights etc. But to all: Please read this.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Emiel wrote:Hello all,

Just googled aroud a bit and found this:

http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/diese ... eadid=2173

Did not want to paste the text in here for copyrights etc. But to all: Please read this.

Best regards

Emiel
Yes thanks for helping and it is good information but i have read it earlier. And thanks to Brian, you have helped me a lot and thats propobly why i keep asking. :oops: It is just so intresting to digg in blue history. I wish someone builds a timemaschine and take me on a jorney back to year 63 to visit the Thames Trader plant and the Fordson plant and the Roadless factory for a visit , I pick You Brian up on the way by.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Brian wrote:You are comparing apples and lemons Grani. That is a truck engine not a tractor so the same date codes do not apply. That is why I say that you need a truck site to get the information.
I got a message from Steven and he wrote that the cast date codes are the same as for tractor engines. :? I am a little confused now and I don´t know what to belive. He has still not answer me about the specific cast codes on my engines

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Grani
The casting code on my Super 6 engine is 4M16, which would be Nov. 16, 1964, if it was the same code as a Super Major engine.
Since yours has a J for a month code and J wasn't used after May of '63, at least some of the codes must be different from tractors, but maybe some are the same.
I also have a Major with a Feb. 1957 serial number stamped on the block, but it has a C for the year code. I can't explain that one either. I'll have to get a magnifying glass and look at it closer.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It is possible that 508 E blocks have been casted as late as 1968 for 6 cyl petrol engines when 2700 serial engines was only Diesels.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Does anyone knows what the wheight of an 590e-block (incl. clutch) approx. is?
How much litres of oil should be in the block?

Next saturday I am going to get one!! :clap:
The plan is to restore the block (might need your help :roll: ) and place it for my SuperMajor in the next months.
My "dream" is going to get true! :mrgreen:

I'll keep you informed.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Today I pickedup my 6 cilinder. It's a 590e with a vacuum governor.
So I think it must be from around 1957 - 1961.

Trying to post a picture:
Last edited by Pascal on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Pascal

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

The posting of the picture worked! Thanks to Photobucket... :D

I got the engine from a relative. The engine comes from a Thames Trader truck from a local contractor.
It hasn't run for 30 years, but (happily! :clap: ) it wasn't stuck. Quite surprising as I found the engine like this in an old shed:

The frame, where the engine was to, was sunk into the ground, so it needed a bit of a pull to get out. Therefor we had a Ford 5000 :D

We cut off most of the frame and loaded the engine on a jeep of a friend of mine.

Has anybody an idea what the "box" on the left (attached to the governor) is? For airbrakes?

Best regards,
Pascal

JC

Post by JC »

That's a great find, Pascal! Did the aluminum sump come with it?

The pump behind the injector pump looks like a vacuum pump. Its probably for the vacuum booster for the hydraulic brakes.

Have fun building your 6-cylinder Major.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

If it has not run in the last 30 years then it should be in good condition except for corrosion perhaps. The sleeve lower seals are propobly hard as rocks. Nice :lol:

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Pascal,

Congratulations with your (new) engine and have fun rebuiling it.
Was it used as a stationary engine because of the frame?
You should also bought the machine in front of it. It’s for rounding sheet metal. Could be handy when making adoptions to the hood.
Seems you are right about the sleeves seals as Grani say’s.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

JC,
Thank you for your reaction. I think you're right about the vacuum pump.

Grani,
The engine has little hours, so I hope ít's in good condition inside the engine.
I think you're right about the sleeve lower seals. When I want to replace them, do I have to remove the cilinders and bushes?
Perhaps it's good to replace all the gaskets as well, as they might are very dry?
I have looked at your pictures on the Swedish bulletin board: they are a great help for me!
Best regards,
Pascal

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Which radiator do you use for your 590e?
The same radiator as in a 4 cylinder Major? Or has this one too little cooling capacity for a 6 cylinder engine?
Best regards,
Pascal

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

On my Roadless I have the original Major radiator and the shortest one blade fan and I have not notised any overheating with my use of the tractor.
On my stationary engine there is a huge radiator and six blade fan.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Pascal wrote:JC,
Thank you for your reaction. I think you're right about the vacuum pump.

Grani,
The engine has little hours, so I hope ít's in good condition inside the engine.
I think you're right about the sleeve lower seals. When I want to replace them, do I have to remove the cilinders and bushes?
Perhaps it's good to replace all the gaskets as well, as they might are very dry?
I have looked at your pictures on the Swedish bulletin board: they are a great help for me!
You can see if the seals are ok if You drain the oil and put back the plug and fill the radiator with cooling liquid and then after a fev weeks look if there is som cooling liquid in the oilpan when You open the drainplug again. If not then they are ok for the moment. Maybe they not last wery long in use, but maybe they do. Some times a small amount of water on the bottom stay there and do no harm but if the oil turns grey then it´s bad.
I recommend you at least open the oilpan and clean it and the suction filter screen from all dirt and change the filter and make sure that nothing is missing from the filter assy that could allow the oil to bypass the filter.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Grani,

Thank you very much for your advices!!
I'll keep you updated.
Best regards,
Pascal

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

hello Pascal,

congratulations with your find now its possible to drive a longer way.

With the in and outlet correct.

I use a normal major radiator with 2 blade fan
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

JC

Post by JC »

Pascal,
Grani has got me thinking about casting codes.
What's the casting code on your block?

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Henk,

Sorry, I have missed your questions earlier. :roll:
The engine was meant to be a stationary engine. They were going to put it in front of a waterpump, but they never did it.

Ah, that's were the machine in front of the engine was for. :)
I was wondering what is was...I only know it was really heavy! :?
I don't think there were gonna sell that machine.
Best regards,
Pascal

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

JC,

During cleaning the engine this evening, I discovered a castingcode near the manifold. It says C18C.

I also saw a code near the place, where the dynamo is normally placed. But I forgot it. :( I think it was something with a D.
I will check the next few days.

What do you think the codes mean, JC?
Best regards,
Pascal

JC

Post by JC »

That should be March 18, 1959, Pascal. But there seems to be different information about whether the truck and tractor codes are the same.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

JC wrote:That should be March 18, 1959, Pascal. But there seems to be different information about whether the truck and tractor codes are the same.
I was 4 days old back then. :cry: When I was about 5 years old I got a Thames Trader truck toy from my mother, but it was on my request. I seem to have had good taste from the beginning. :mrgreen: I have a picture of me playing with the truck and I am going to show You when I find it.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Grani wrote:When I was about 5 years old I got a Thames Trader truck toy from my mother, but it was on my request. I seem to have had good taste from the beginning. :mrgreen: I have a picture of me playing with the truck and I am going to show You when I find it.
Did Finland buy much British stuff in the 1950's, when Finland lived in the shadow of the Russian bear?
All the best,
Ben