This and that about Ford 590E engines.

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hi guys great thread
i was wondering how much oil you use to fill your 6 cyl engine, i have been guessing mine as it came with no dipstick, my sump has the deep area at the flywheel end.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Following on my thread in the major forum about me wanting to put a 6 cylinder turbo engine in my recently acquired major.

I have been doing alot of thinking about this and i have decided to try and source a 590e engine for it, i know these dont have turbo's but echoeing what alot of older and wiser people on here have previously said, ive been thinking, do i really need that much power? so i think a 590e engine will be more than enough.

So for the last four days i have been seeking to buy an engine, i purchased the vintage and classic commercial magazine and have rang quite a few advertisers in there, i havnt turned up too much though. There is a place near luton with several engines, free standing and still in chassis, i have been told by a few people that these have been standing outside for a long time, so may be alot of trouble. I have a person trying to source me an ex ministry of defence one, which you would hope will have been serviced very regularly and not seen much work.

In the meantime does anyone in the uk know of any reasonable 590 engines for sale??

Thanks Mark

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

I went to look at that commercial breakers yard yesterday, 1000's of trucks and 1000's of various makes of engines all exposed to the elements :( I found two 590e but they were too far gone, been standing outside for many many years, why o why were they not put under cover. What a waste !

If i had wanted an engine from out of a d series or an ford cargo, both of which were lying on there side. i had the choice of about 100 of them. Typical !

So im still looking for an usable/running 590e engine

Im learning, but not yet 100% with all these engines numbers and what they were in. Am i right in thinking?

Fordson major - 4 cylinder diesel - called 4d

Ford thames trader - 6c Diesel version - same as major called 6d, engine number 590e

Ford d series truck/(custom cab?) - Are these engines the 2700 series? which are 45 degress on the slant?

I was reading through an older tractor magazine this morning, there was an article about a ford county, it said the original engine was knackered and was replecd with an identical one out of an clayson combine harvester it said it was a 2713E, the picture looked like a 590e and i thought clayson combines had 590e's??? im confused?? :?:

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Sorry for all the questions, im 28 years old and if i dont ask alot of questions i dont learn :D

I just found the above picture on a gasket website , it lists the 590e as a d series engine, does this mean these 590e engines were also put on there side in d series trucks aswell as being upright in the thames traders? or is a "dorset 590e" from 1965-68 different to the earlier ones?

If that is correct i presume i need to make sure that i get one which has definantly been standing upright out of a trader.

Is it me or is this not the most straightforward of topics??
Last edited by fergusont20 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The 590E was never a "D" series engine. The 590E came from the Thames Trader lorries from around 1960 to 1965.

The "D" series was an under-cab unit and was inclined. It was also a short stroke engine. It was similar to the 2700 series industrial engines.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Thankyou for clarifying that Brian, so that picture above that i took from a gasket website is incorrect?

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Fergusont20,

What a shame to see such 590E's rusting away... :cry:
I hope you will find a good engine.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Pascal wrote:Hi Fergusont20,

What a shame to see such 590E's rusting away... :cry:
I hope you will find a good engine.
Thanks Pascal

I too hope i can find a good engine, normally sourcing items is not too difficult but struggling with this engine, i have many people on the lookout for me so fingers crossed. There is a farm sale im going to on friday, there is a irrigation pump listed with an 6 cylinder engine, wonder if its a 590e?? There was one thames trader still with an 6d engine in where i went yesterday, only problem is truck was behind about 30 other trucks with no real gap in between, ive no problem removing it from truck but not sure how i would get to to the main track? the main man was not there but i think he wants quite alot for everything he sells, and also the truck has stood there a very long time, engine has been covered by cab so not sure how much it would take to run, what does everyone think?

Thanks Mark

just thought, im actually 27 not 28 :D

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Mark,

These 590E's are indeed quite expensive. Here in The Netherlands there are about 500 - 1000 Euro's.
Luckily I got mine for free from a relative. But it needed a complete overhaul. I think I have spend a couple of hunderd Euro's on replacement parts and straightening the head.
But now I hope to have a good ans new engine! :D

I hope to have it running in May!

I believe, that the big advantage of a 590E is, that all spare parts are pretty easy to find. Maybe it's an idea to try to find a relatively cheap engine and then rebuild it? It would be nice though, if you could turn the engine around by hand (so it's not stuck) and see if there's no damage because of the frost.
Good luck!
Best regards,
Pascal

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Hi fergusont20, just a thought,but those two 590e engines you saw at the breakers yard that you say are to far gone.If nothing else is available, is there any chance that you could aquire both engines,( at the "right" price) dismantle both and rebuild one good engine from the two? I've heard stories of Fordson engines that have been "reclaimed" from being buried in rubbish dumps that have been rebuilt and reused succesfully. :yeah: TSG
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:Hi fergusont20, just a thought,but those two 590e engines you saw at the breakers yard that you say are to far gone.If nothing else is available, is there any chance that you could aquire both engines,( at the "right" price) dismantle both and rebuild one good engine from the two? I've heard stories of Fordson engines that have been "reclaimed" from being buried in rubbish dumps that have been rebuilt and reused succesfully. :yeah: TSG
Both had no oil filler caps for full of rain water, all metalwork really coroded, injector pumps tatty with badly coroded driveshafts, starters and dynamo didnt look very pleasing,both rockercovers coroded away, both bellhousings exposed and looked reallt poor state. I dont think they would of been cheap either.

Id really like one i can see running, or ones thats been undercover and turns over by hand. Id rather pay more for a good one.

Got a new contact yesterday, man who deals in old engines, i rang him and he had a 6d but sold it last week, he's trying to source me another one so fingers crossed.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I could buy some more too. :lol: One is dismantled at the moment and was not able to join the Ford engine concert today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCcLipy3wU

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

now your just showing off :lol: :lol:

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

I love it when Grani is showing off! :D :clap:

I see him as a choirmaster of several "6 men orchestra's"! 8)
Best regards,
Pascal

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

super6 wrote:now your just showing off :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Grani,
That's "Sweet" four 6cyl, and one flat head V8 running all at the same time.
I used to own a flat head V8 in a 1950 Crown Victoria Ford, a great car. I have a 4 cyl flat head in my jeep. You don't see them much anymore, most of them went to the scrapper.
Get one more Grani and you will have a small orchestra playing in your backyard. :clap:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Well I ve made a new hood decal for the 6 cyl

The big one is the size off the Power/Farm major badge

small one for the nose cone, I am not sure where I put them
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Maybe this is better

regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Nice :lol:

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Great, Frans! :thumbs:

How's your 4WD doing?
Best regards,
Pascal

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

The 4 wd is still sleeping under a blanket in the shed, I dont have a workshop were I can take her to do the things that must be done.
The weather was to cold to do some small things too so the next week I am going to Intermodelbau in Dortmund Germany and than I will be working on her again (small spring break with the kids) and than the show from our tractor club http://www.ewijksebrug.nl/historisch_weekend.htm
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Looks like a nice event Frans.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Im going to look at a 590E engine in a couple of hours time, i will let you know how i get on, the owner tells me it is a late 590e and that the injector pump is externally driven but different to the earlier ones, i wont know untill i see it. does this sound viable??

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Ive brought an engine for my major, can anyone give me anymore detail about it

http://sites.google.com/site/fergusont2 ... CF0527.JPG

http://sites.google.com/site/fergusont2 ... CF0525.JPG

Stamped on the block just above the sump, manifold side:

http://sites.google.com/site/fergusont2 ... CF0536.JPG

On the inlet manifold:

http://sites.google.com/site/fergusont2 ... CF0532.JPG

Im told it came out of a very late thames trader, but i think its an industrial version (upright) 2700 series (d series) then again i dont know alot about these ford engine models

Looking forward to fitting it, will post more when i have more time, looking forward to finding out year of manufacture and anymore info

Thanks Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is either a 2703, 2704, 2713, 2714 ; You would need to see the information plate usually stuck on the clutch housing or on the bonnet.

Totally different engine to the 590E, This one has dry liners.

It looks like it came from something like a County.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian