malcome moore

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
brockwood
True Blue

malcome moore

Post by brockwood »

HI I THOUGHT ID START THIS AND SEE HOW IT WENT MALCOlM MOORE IN THE AREA WHERE INTERESTED IN WERE A LARGE INDUSTRAL GROUP BASED IN MELBOURNE BUT HAD BRANCHES IN ALL THE CAPATIAL CITYS PART OF IT WAS INVOLVED IN CIVIL ENGENERING AND CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT THEY WERE STATE FORDSON DEALERS FROM I BELIVE ABOUT 1926 AND LATER COUNTY AND PERHAPS ROADLESS DEALERS MUCH OF THEIR GEAR WAS BUILT ON OR FOR FORDSONS A LOT OF IT WAS SIMLER TO OTHER MAKERS OVERSEES BUT I THINK THE EXUCUATION OF SOME WAS UNIKE OTHERS SUCH AS THE LIVE DRIVE BELT PULLYS FOR LOADER WINCH AND GRADER SCREW JACKS AND WET CLUTCHS FOR E1AS SO THE CLUTCH WOULD LAST ON LOADER WORK OR THE TANDAM DRIVE E1A BASED GRADER THE HEAVIER AXLES AND AXLE HAUSINGS FOR COUNTY CRAWERS AND DG4 HALF TRACK A LOT OF THEIR GEAR LOOKS ROUGH BUT FUNCTIONAL THINGS CUT AND SHUNTED TURNED OVER AND SO ON HERE IF THE LINKS WORK ARE SOME EXAMPLES THE COLOUR PHOTOS ARE OF MINE THE REST ARE RESEARCH THEY ARE A, 1 ROADMASTER P6 GRADER IT HAS THE LIVE PULLEY AND NO DIFF 2 A MOBILIFT CRANE IT HAS THE DIFF TURNED OVER AND RUNS A GRADER AXLE BRACE/ STEERING BOX/ FONT AXLE AND ROAD ROLLER STEERING COLUMN 3 A CABLE LOADER ACTUALLY TRANSFERRED FROM A N AND NOT LIVE ON THE WINCH 4 A CUBDOZER TO GO ON OUR HALFTRACK 5 A 754 WITH A MOORE INDUSTRIAL LOADER SUPPLIED TO STATE RIVER AUTHORITY NOW HAS ARMS OFF AND BONNET ON THE OTHER PICS SHOW A MOORE LOADER FITTED TRACTION F LOADING A SITE TRAIN THE TRAIN ITSELF A SIMILAR ONE WITH A SNOWPLOUGH IN OUR HIGH COUNTRY AND THEIR FIRST LOADER ON A F LOADING A TIP DRAY b http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/brock ... 6185345136
Last edited by brockwood on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Re: malcome moore

Post by Eric Schulz »

A LOT OF THEIR GEAR LOOKS ROUGH BUT FUNCTIONAL THINGS CUT AND SHUNTED TURNED OVER AND SO ON
That statement needs a bit of clarification. Could you give specific examples?

What I think is that you have seen some Malcolm-Moore (correct spelling) products that have been owner modified. M-M products were always well built. At least the ones I have seen and used. Of course a cable operated front end loader looks a bit crude compared to a modern loader, but it was neatly constructed.

In defence of Malcolm-Moore,

Eric

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

bit of finger trouble there i certainly wasn’t being critical but admiring practicality a couple of examples the gear leaver on the grader has been cut and extended and swings trough about a 18" arc all that i have seen are the same the hand brake on the crane has been cut and reset so that its at nearly right angles and works in the reverse sense the crane is also left foot clutch on a [e27] using a cut down brake pedal of course i was talking about modified tractors and showing ingenuity not so much the later ground up designs b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Brockwood,
I have two Malcolm Moore Fordson conversions, the first is a grader based on a 1937 N model, I have to get this back on wheels so I can get it into a position where I can do the other work to restore it.
I have a leed on the whereabouts of one other, and I found a picture on the internet somewhere in Victoria I think, that one was painted the undercoat colour or 1937 orange, I will be paintion mine the original Main Roads yellow.
Mine is marked PW15 and the red/orange one is marked PWD 1515, I have some bits missing which I will have to make.
I will be unlikely to find a replacement cast front rim and are planning to use the E27N ones even though these are the wrong offset.

The second is a cable operated loader of about 1947 based on the E 27N this a total recostruct as it has been on two tractors so far, the last one was scraped when I removed the loader frame, the date on the loader frame did not match the year model Fordson it was on anyway.
I should find some picture for you, actually I think I may have posted them on different topics already.

Mike

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

[ihttp://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/brockwood1/cranelifting6diskshearer_zps0370bbfb.jpgmg][/img] [imghttp://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/brockwood1/grader_zpsd4e85c1b.jpg][/img] Image

Hi been a bit slow getting back i have looked at your posts with interest the first grader i drove which belonged to a neighbour was a n converted onto a e27 high top on 28, wheels it was just too fast we put it on 24/s which helped but as it had a diff it used to just cock up one wheel and sit .it also had no live drive on the lift so he put a Honda on that which helped fordson wise i did some work on the crane for the fordson club hamilton meet last year which came up ok we have just got our 34 n going again after 18 months it did the belt drive gear because the front bearing failed took quite a wile to get up the nerve to rerace all the box and shim the diff but it seems ok now first outing was last weekend . have started on the next which is the cable loader its been parked for some years with bits borrowed off it the major jobs on it were to remake the winch brake block and replace the front pulley which was flogging have been done hope to have it done and tidied up for our locale rally in April hears a link to the http://www.earthmover.com.au/news/2013/ ... rm=fordson earthmover and civil contractor mag with a article on early graders called Pumped up graders if you search there there are several intersting articles on fordson and malcome moore in the early days b

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Brockwood,
I have bought another Malcom Moore loader, it is based on a Super Major January 1963, the engine number seems strange as it does not match any of the published information.
It is after the engine number change but has half the old and half the new numbering. C 785393 ( not 08C ) and not the later number sequence. cast number A 22 J I make it January 1963.
Appart from the butchery performed on it previously, this was quite original ( now in pieces for rebuild )
Sorry I can't post pictures yet.
This has the 13" clutch which was supposed to have come about a few weeks later, I think it was.
We are getting it all sorted out with most of the parts we need, it will need the bottom liner seals Devcon filled a little and we will be replacing the pistons, liners, injectors and valves because they were full of water.
It had the normal problem of crankshaft wear created by faulty fuel return line emptying diesel into the sump.
The minimec injection pump has some water damage also but we hope to save it.

We need to replace the gearbox housing, fortunately I had a spare, but I need to find the correct position to locate the grease point for the industrail thrust bearing, if anyone has measurements?

I saw one the same for sale on Ebay some time back, these are based on an industrail tractor skid units and look strange by todays standards.

We should be able to rebuild it by sometime next year.

Mike

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Mike,

but your numbers are not that far away from mine. I have a Super Major with A14J gearbox and 08C784622 engine number (which has a P13H, December 62). Maybe the guy who punched the numbers in was in bad mood that day? :wink:

Peter
1963 Super Major

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks for your comment, seems like something was amis with the numbers.
Might be a case to change the published information on the number change period?

There was a lag time between skid unit supply to far away places like Australia, and final assembly and while that makes a difference to Australian fitted registration tags, it still is at odds with the engine cast dates which of course were put at the time of block mould preparation.
I have had the engine block extensively acid dipped, so there is no question of there being an 08 in front of the number, must have been stamped on a Friday afternoon, or with a hang over on a Monday morning!

As a comparison my gearbox was N 21 H ( Nov 1962 ) and the diff is A 28 J ( January 1963 ) only 6 days between engine mould date and the diff date, but I have noticed before that the gearboxes seem to have taken longer to get produced
My other Super Major has a large date gap for the gearbox too, I assumed it had been replaced, as it was an early Super Major, they may have been using up old stocks before they made the changes to gearbox shaft sizes?

Does yours have the 13" clutch too?

Mike

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Mike,

mine has a dual clutch, so I have a 12"?

Peter
1963 Super Major

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi there everyone just getting back to you we got the loader going again and working well sorry for the video quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLsbeMVaCv4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3N3x3hO-J8

on the topic of clutches in later majors i have seen installation instructions from MM for putting the wet clutch out of the e27n into the later majors for very heavy duty applications such as industrial loaders

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thanks, I would love to see those instruction as I want to put a starter in my N model, I particulaly want to work out how they keep the oil out of the starter motor?
I persume they would be using an unsupported bendix spring type one like the old Series 2 Land Rovers?

I have a E27N starter, but I don't think it will have the clearance in the gearbox housing.

Mike

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

Hi re n starter I thought I had posted this if I have bear with me I have seen an article about fitting a starter thou I must stress I haven’t actually seen it done. Now for others reading this the problems are 1. No starter mounting on engine 2. Lack of bulge in bell housing for starter 3. no ring gear on fly wheel ok it’s a lot of work but the fix is apparently? 1 use an e 27 block many reco motors including mine already are 2 cut the belhousing and weld on a raised cover the pic I saw was nicely blended and you could hardly tell 3 this is were it gets tricky you use a e27 fly wheel to get the ring gear this means a clutch change to a e27 instead of the n muilty plate as you lose the clutch drive pegs off the fly wheel this then means a change of the input shaft of the gearbox with a e27 one of the same ratio the blue n is different but orange and green are apparently the same ? B

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you for the detail,
I know I have drifted off topic, but I do agree I have seen somthing on this before, but was lacking detail.
I have all the gear I need Orange N model, ( 1937 ) genuine replacement engine with two engine numbers and starter mounting housing, spare E27N flywheel already out, spare E 27n input shafts of different ratios, ( already out ) and spare E27 N clutch ( already out ) and a need to check over the gearbox before working it.

So I am almost there, all I need is for the starter to fit, or a modified starter that will keep oil out, but the hardest part may be to get a late N housing or housing from a model that has the starter clearance.
Hopefully a bendix spring type may do the trick with clearance, but I still have to keep the oil in the right places.

Hang on what happens to the no brakes? Perhaps ned a brake and clutch pedal from something else too?

Mike