v6 turbo major

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Vulgunx
True Blue

v6 turbo major

Post by Vulgunx »

Looking at fitting a v6 turbo in a major what engine would be decent not alot of modificaton and can use the same clutch the tractor was already fitted
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

super6954
True Blue

Re: v6 turbo major

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Would probably be easier to find rocking horse poo :lol: most motors other than what it had fitted from standard need bell housing adapters and clutches/ flywheel machining to get them to work. even fords 6D and 2700 series diesel 4 and 6 cyl need bell housing adapter plates to make a proper strong job of it, plus other frame mods. later ford engines need even more mods to get them in :!: . Hopefully you got a good lathe and mill/ welder, the skills to use this stuff, or deep pockets to pay somebody to make parts to do this kinda conversion right :wink: .
I put motors in tractors a few times, I did a V8 Perkins in a Belarus, luckily I had access to a full machine shop and the know how guy for what I couldn't do with the machines, made it pretty easy. I moved and now don't have that luxury. So can't do such ambitious projects now with $100 hr machine times, and 3 or4 days plus of it :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

The live PTO two stage clutch probably would not take the RPM’s or the HP, you would most likely be better off with the old single stage non live set up. I know there is a guy over here in the US that put a Oldsmobile diesel engine in one of his, I’m assuming it was a V8. It probably comes down to how much time and money you want to invest. Other than the 590E and the D series engines, I don’t believe there are any engines that will bolt to the bell housing without an adapter plate.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

And while we are on the subject, I see Agriline is now selling a cast iron two stage clutch assembly with a diaphragm spring rather than coil springs. It’s got me wondering if the flywheel or the clutch is the weak point when they explode, and how many horse this diagram set up can take?
When I get around to building my 6 cylinder turbo I had planed on using a single stage non live, but I would much rather use a live drive if we can keep the flywheel/clutch together.

Pat